Author Topic: Newbe in Ireland  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Tommyjay

Newbe in Ireland
« on: April 29, 2009, 05:46:45 AM »
Hi all,

Been scratching through the site for a while now, picked up some really valuable information, specific to the K5.

I finally bought one from an ebayer in the UK, it was advertised as a 1991 model, but on closer inspection it turned out to be an 89'. If it was a 1991 model, my intentions were to use the motor on a KX500AF conversion, but as it is a 89' it qualifies for our twinshock and Evolution bike series here, now I have no idea what to do, restoration or AF conversion?? :| :|

I might say that here in the Republic of Ireland, things are notoriously hard to come by, nearest viable source of spares will be the UK and although they are only 32 miles away as the crow files, its as good as being another country :roll: :roll:

I can probably get my hands on a rolling chassis easily enough, but as far as a resoration goes, well...............??

Are there any K5 owners here in Ireland also members of this forum?? any advise will be greatly appreciated.... thanks in advance!!

Here is the only picture I have of the K5 at the moment, someone in their infinite wisdom tried to do a supermoto conversion, and then back to a MX conversion and has not done too well in my opinion, I will post my decision as what to do with this  and any progress I make

Tom Jenkins

Offline MonsterKX

• 1995 "Fire Breather" project.
Re: Newbe in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 07:05:39 AM »
Welcome to the site my friend.  Nice to have you.  I have landed briefly in your country a few times while flying between Iraq and the US.  We landed each time in Shannon.  You live in a beautiful place.  About the conversion or restoration of your KX500, I just completed a restoration on a 1995 KX 500 and couldn't be happier.  It is the bike shown on this reply.  I also ride a 2006 KX450F which is a real handful!  I still have a soft spot though for these big 2-stroke fire breathers!  I bleed green as I am sure you do!  This site is the best I have found with a lot of "Green Smart" riders.  Again, welcome!  Be safe and ride hard!