Author Topic: Chainlube  (Read 3160 times)

sdkx500

Chainlube
« on: November 26, 2003, 06:19:28 AM »
Whats the favorite chainlube?  Any one stick on better?

Thanks,
T

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Chainlube
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 06:33:16 AM »
I hate the mess of conventional chain lubes. After using Maxima's Chain Wax I won't use anything else. Read the directions though, it's not just a spray and go lube :wink:

Offline KXcam22

Chainlube
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 04:40:10 PM »
I have had great luck with Belray (not the blue stuff though).  Also the Maxima chain wax is good.  Maybe don't use it for too "non-chain" type lubrication though.  I used it lots on my lawnmower starter which eventually gummed it up solid.  When they say WAX they mean it.

mikesmith

Chainlube
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 06:32:55 PM »
I use PJ1 and Bel-Ray,on my O-Ring chain I'll even just use WD-40.O-ring chain has the lube sealed inside,so WD keeps the out side from rusting,O-rings from drying out and helps disperse water.I'll try some chain wax on my nekt O-ring chain.

Biggreenmonster

Chainlube
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 11:51:04 AM »
I like the motul products..the chain lube is a really ugly yellowish color, but you can see where you have alredy sprayed!I guess any good quality product is good with the proper application,hehehe

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
Chainlube
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 01:02:42 AM »
Anyone ever use the stuff from MX1000.com?  Jaybird (owner of the Co.) is all over DRN about how great it is.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Rick

Chainlube
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 11:43:50 AM »
I used to use all kinds of expensive chain lube products until I sat down and thought about what I was trying to achieve.  With an O-ring chain, once the lubricant on the inside of each link dries out or is remove with a power washer or other means, it is gone forever.  The O-rings will keep you from ever replacing the lubricant.  The task then becomes adding a lubricant to the O-ring chain to ensure the O-rings do not dry out.  Once I realize this, I switch to using WD-40 exclusively.  

Now I spend more time on my bike than most folks (more than 5000 miles a year), so parts get a good workout.  I use steel sprockets and O-ring chains, and usually get at least one year out of the set, so the use of WD-40 has not reduced the life expectancy of my chains at all.  In fact, even with all of the miles, I have never broken a chain.  

For my money (and very little of it indead), I just use WD-40.  Now, if you are using a standard chain, we will have to have an entirely new discussion...

Rick