Author Topic: My story  (Read 2440 times)

Offline keithluneau

My story
« on: April 01, 2009, 02:58:09 AM »
So here's my story, and how I ended up here.  8-)

I've always had something to ride since I was a kid, I started riding my dad's Honda 110s and 90s when I was about 5. By the time I was old enough to get out of the yard I'd worn those out! lol My first dirtbike was a XR100R that I rode to death. We got that one rebuilt and I sold it shortly after, and got a 200X 3-wheeler.

Fast forward a number of years and various bikes, and last year I got a great deal on a sickly, beaten XR200R that I rebuilt from the ground up, literally. My brother in law picked up a '82 XR250R about the same time, and we put more than a fair share of miles on those bikes over the summer! I got an offer to sell the bike that I couldn't turn down, so it left. I've been wanting another dirtbike ever since. My brother in law just picked up a 2000 KX250 a few weeks ago, and I found an '89 KX250. That's where the story goes bad...  :|

To start off, I saw this bike listed on eBay not far from me, not running. Supposedly it was running and quit, and the guy put it up and didn't mess with it anymore. I figured it must be an easy fix, or at least worth taking a shot at it. I watched the bike, I had $500 to spend at the time. It sold for $510, and I just flat out didn't have it, or a way to go get it, so I passed and saved a little longer. When Steve (my brother in law) went to get his bike, a guy walked over and started talking to him, and low and behold he was the guy that bought the '89 on eBay that I wanted. What are the odds?!

The guy said he'd got the bike, put a new sleeve, piston, rings, crank bearings and seals, and had the bike running great, but the float was stuck and it was leaking gas from the overflow. He said he was in it for about $800 total, and would sell it for that, just wanted his money back. I gave him a call and he said I could go and get it if I wanted it. So we drove to his house, about 4 hours away. We got there, there was no gas in the bike, the valve was on and it had all ran out. The guy wasn't home either, just his daughter. I asked if they had some gas, she called him and he said no, but there wasn't anything wrong with the bike, he assured me. So, I bought it, and we left. I get it home, took the carb off, and found that the float isn't stuck, but the overflow tube is broken off.

So with that patched up, we fuel it up, get it started, and it starts blowing water out of the head gasket! We looked closer and two of the nuts were not even ran down to the head! I took the head off, it's not warped. So I cleaned it and the cylinder deck up, put it back together, and it wasn't leaking. Now it refuses to start though.

I took the carb off, went over that, checked the reeds, everything looks ok. I've got air, fuel, spark, and plenty of compression, but it won't even so much is spit, pop, sputter, just dead. I kept trying and eventually it starts, and runs great, idles perfect. I noticed that once it started, it started to push a little water out of the radiator overflow. Not even close to what it was doing before, but the head is still not sealed up right. So the bike idled for a few minutes and warms up, I got on it and took it down the road. It didn't have nearly the power it should have in the top end, but the bottom was good and strong. Something wasn't right. I made it about a mile down the road before it sputtered and missed, and died. It hasn't popped since. Even with carb cleaner in the plug hole it won't even pop, and it'd got spark, air, plenty of compression as I said before. With everything else eliminated, I'm thinking it has to be an electrical problem, weak spark or something similar. So that's where I'm at. I did pull the flywheel and look at the stator, it's nasty in there, and that may be my problem. I posted a picture in the 125/250 section with questions.

If you're wondering, I tried multiple times to call the guy back about it and he doesn't answer his phone. Oh well, I guess it was an $800 learning experience. I'll keep at it and get it running though, if I let it beat me now I'm out $800. If I keep at it at least I can say I tried! If I get it running, and ride it like I planned to, even better.  :-D

By the way, looking closer, it's clear the case has not been off the frame, or split in a long time, so I seriously doubt there's new crank bearings and seals in there.

So that's my story. This is my bike...

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 03:05:08 AM by keithluneau »

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
Re: My story
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:37:36 AM »
Welcome to the site.
  You could take a bad attitude and claim you got screwed and quit. Or you can use this site to gain enough information to repair and build a great KX250, then brag about the killer bike you stole for only $800. The choice is yours but I know what I would do.
  I bought a red bike for $250 once put about a grand into it, I had so much fun fixing that up an learning about it and learning how to ride,that I went out and bought a new KX500. Now that is my story and why I am here.
  John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline keithluneau

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 12:40:27 PM »
Oh don't worry, I'm not the type to moan and cry about it. I already told my buddy yesterday that by the time I'm done with this one, I'll probably have more in it than it's worth, but it will not beat me. ;)

That was yesterday.

Today, I'm happy to report that I got up this morning, went outside with a mission. I pulled the seat and tank off to get at the electronics. I started with the stator, and systematically went over everything, cleaning and adjusting each and every thing I could, every connector, every ground, tested everything and all the wiring. Put it back together, and it started on the first kick and has ever since. The bike is running great now. There's still a little bogging in the top, and the water pump seal and head gasket needs changing, but I've got something I can work on and look forward to now.

I'm happy this evening. :)

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 04:43:02 PM »
  :-o:-D :-D :-D

Offline keithluneau

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 04:49:54 PM »
For anyone interested and following this, I've got an update.

Today I pulled the right cover off to change the water pump seal and bearing. I found out why my powervalve isn't working. The plastic gear that drives the governor is broken! The rod that works the valves still isn't moving as far as I think it should. I'll tear into that while I wait for the new gear to arrive in the mail.

So with the water pump sealed, and the governor working, if I can get the valves working like they should, I should have a pretty nice running bike in the end. It looks like the poor thing was just neglected and patched up, rather than fixed properly.

I'm just happy to know that it'll be taken care of and brought back to life now that it's in my hands.  :-D

Offline keithluneau

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 10:28:42 AM »
Another update for anyone reading this stuff...

I got the plastic gear replaced on the governor. While I waited on that gear, I pulled the top end off, and found out why I was having problems with the head sealing up. The two studs that were originally loose had pulled out of the cylinder. I ordered some heli-coils, and the seller sent the wrong size ones. (gotta love eBay) In the mean time, I cleaned up the powervalves, and got that all working. This morning to drove to the nearest O'Reilly Auto Parts and bought the right heli-coils and taps to put them in, came home and fixed those two studs. I put it all back together with a new Cometic top end gasket set, and everything is working great now! No more water in the transmission oil thanks to the waterpump seal, no more leaking water down the side of the head, or burning it in the cylinder. The water level in the radiators stays put. It is still a little rich on the bottom end, and won't clean up. I'm thinking the old reeds are shot. There is a visible air gap in them. At any rate, it's running quite well now relative to the day I got it home.

So lets recap all the issues with the bike, that was supposed to be ready to ride, apart from a stuck float...

Broken overflow tube in the carb. (free quick fix)
worn water pump seal and bearings (another free fix, had a KX80 bottom end with the parts I needed in it)
sleeve pressed to far into the cylinder (free again, pressed it back in place here at home)
broken drive gear on the governer (I think it cost me about $13 for the gear shipped to me)
two stripped studs in the cylinder (about $40 for heli coils and tools to install them)
top end gasket set (about $50 with the shipping)
worn reeds (probably get some Boyesen Power Reeds for about $45-$50, that's whats in there now)

So I'm in this one for a total of about $950, not counting all the hours of labor. (I consider it a privilege to work on these bikes though!) I do still need to see if I can file the clutch basket to stop the clutch dragging though. Hopefully I won't need to replace that.

So, in the end, not a bad deal afterall?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 10:30:32 AM by keithluneau »

Offline keithluneau

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 10:38:50 AM »
By the way, here's another picture from today, with the engine and pipe cleaned up, after the test ride. Looks ok for now, but I do plan to change the plastics and get a seat cover eventually.  :|

Offline wecsubloc

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 12:16:38 PM »
its good to have ya aboard.That is a great story.Enjoy your new ride!Pic of my 05 kx250.

Billy C
Life begins @ 40! Catching up on my yesteryears!So lets rip it up!