Author Topic: Vibration!  (Read 5942 times)

Offline 93KX5Rider

Vibration!
« on: April 18, 2009, 01:47:35 PM »
So i've been riding a lot the past couple of days but I can't ride too long at once with out my hands getting really really soar from all the vibration. My brother said he could feel the ground shaking when he stood next to me on my kx5 :) So I was wondering what I could do to dampen the vibration or what others have done to fix it. a good set of handle bars? good grips? good gloves?  Let me know please! Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 01:49:21 PM by 93KX5Rider »

Offline cbxracer30

Re: Vibration!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 01:57:55 PM »
Having the crank balanced will help out alot. If you go to the Falicon website,they claim no 2stroke dirt have their cranks balance from the factory its in their Q&A section. I had mine done by Crankshaft Dynamics and my brother had his done by Crankworks they both do great work 
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline 93KX5Rider

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 02:01:57 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sending my motor off just to try and get less vibration in my handle bars. Thanks anyways.

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 02:10:52 PM »
Then you may want to look into the Fasst vibration dampening bars good stuff , but If you would want to send out the crank I would pickup a spare on ebay and send it out then replace it when you get it back

Offline 93KX5Rider

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 02:12:36 PM »
hmmmm I'll definitely take a look at those fasst bars. And if the vibration is still really bothering me then that is something I may do in the future. Thanks dude !

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 05:24:34 PM »
The KX500 crank alignment seems to be quite variable from the factory.  The better aligned, the less vibration the bike has.  Some vibrate LOTS while others (like mine) don't vibrate at all.  You can try to dampen the vibration but unfortunately the solution is to take the crank out and send it someone like Stewart to have it trued.  Cam.

Offline 93KX5Rider

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 05:29:31 PM »
Hmmmmmm very good to know. I am now thinking about having that done as well when I pull the bike apart again this winter to rebuild the bike again and sharpen it up. Thanks for bringing this to my attention guys!

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 02:49:13 AM »
The KX500 crank alignment seems to be quite variable from the factory.  The better aligned, the less vibration the bike has.  Some vibrate LOTS while others (like mine) don't vibrate at all.  You can try to dampen the vibration but unfortunately the solution is to take the crank out and send it someone like Stewart to have it trued.  Cam.
My brother had one with no vibration at all so his other K5 he sent that crank, piston, and flywheel to crankworks, came back it was smooth as silk. My first K5 when I went the 540 kit I took that rotating assembly to crankshaft dynamics which is right here in central PA , and alot cheaper, and he did a good job ,bike revs straight to the moon , it doesn't have to fight through the vibration.

Offline turtle22

• '89 & '01 kx500 '87 fxr HD '80 xr500
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 06:31:03 AM »
when i first got my '01(it was very abused)it viberated my teeth out of my head. come to find out it had a busted motor mount. im not sure how far u have been thru it, but some times its some simple stuff that help(i hate spending money on something when i could have been a simple fixs)
lets ride

Offline dsrtrider

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 08:27:32 AM »
i remember reding articles in the 1990's were team green would balance rank, use a rubber bar snake, weighted bar ends, carefully bolt engine bolts and i think they had some rubber washers
current bike 2007 ktm 300 xc-w - keeping two strokes alive
1994 kx500 -sold-made me the man i am today

1990 kx500-sold
1982 kx250-sold
1979 rm125-sold
1978 kdx125 -sold
1977 xr75 - first bike

Offline 93KX5Rider

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 01:38:38 PM »
Sweet, all very good and cheap things I can try before going out and spending too much money. I rode a whole tank on my KX5 today. Sooo fun :D

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 03:24:54 PM »
You have no idea what vibration is until you ride a 400 CZ (yes that is an old bike).   I was given one to race in a 1 hour GP.  Couldn't sit down since it would tingle your knackers.  Couldn't feel my hands for a few days afterwards.  Like having white finger disease, though thankfully not permanent.  Cam.

Offline 93KX5Rider

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 03:55:37 PM »
Nice, we have an old yamaha 490 sitting around and I heard those are even crazier to ride then the kx500. My brother in-law bought a bran new Maico 490 back in the day but he couldn't handle it so he sold it. He regrets it every time he thinks about it. Not that any of that had anything to do with vibration. lol. Thanks for all the recommendations guys I really appreciate it.

Offline bunk

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 02:30:40 AM »
I bought my 01' in sometime around august of 08' and it vibrated pretty good.  I knew 500's did that so I didn't pay any attention to it.  Until new years weekend when it seemed to get worse.  I checked the flywheel and sure enough it was sloppy.  So now hundreds of dollars later and new cases its back together and feels much more solid, and vibrated half as bad at it used to.  Check your flywheel now before it causes more damage.  If i would have earlier i probably would of saves my cases.
01' 500

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 02:58:38 AM »
 Cases are what wear. The big bearring wobbles out the race, but still the cause is the crank out of clock or whatever its called. Some call it trueing the crank, but from what I understand from previous posts, assembling the crank right, reduces vibration in a certain rpm range, but is never truely "balanced" And it was also mentioned the the majority of cranks are out. Check out Stewarts Crank Press Thread. You think all engine shops have one of those? Think he and his Dad made that for a good reason? I think it is a big deal, but not an easy fix.
 Handlebars and rubber mounting helps symptoms, not the cause. Cases are too expensive.