Author Topic: 2001 price  (Read 4888 times)

Offline bob larry

Re: 2001 price
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 06:24:24 AM »
The cylinders do wear, just slowly.
As for tearing it down when you get it, its not a bad idea, but it will cost you $50 in gaskets. I did it with mine because I thought for sure it had piston slap. It was just the power valve rattling around. If you do tear it down, definitely clean the powervalve and possibly rotate the pins. When the pins wear it lets the middle piece flop around noisly and it doesn't work as well, not that they get silent even when perfect, they were created with a lot of tolerance so they don't freeze up from carbon too soon.

Thats for sure!  I can't believe the power valves even turn with all that sludge and crap on them.  I am ready for the rattle (thanks to the forum)when it is back together cause they are clean as new now.
2001 KX500

Offline coon1976

Re: 2001 price
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 09:16:22 AM »
Well i paid 2500 Canadian for an 03 K5 Last fall ad in mint condition, as far as 2000 for an 01 sounds bout right, a top end rebuild thats done before she blows is fairly cheap... price of gaskets and piston kit, those who spend 1000 or more are talking about damaged cylinders and having work done by shop, if you're any bit mecanically inclined it is an easy job
Good luck there a real blast to ride