Author Topic: kips repair  (Read 2122 times)

Offline dave916

kips repair
« on: April 15, 2009, 08:16:40 AM »
hi all,  i have a husqvarna sm 510r  fitted with a 88 kx5 engine , problem is one of the kips valve is broken , it is broken where the stem joins the valve so it should be possibly to weld , has anyone welded a kips valve or know the exact material they or made of?,   or if anyone knows where i could get one in uk ? thanks for any help

Offline don46

Re: kips repair
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 08:28:10 AM »
not sure of the material of construction, even knowing it I would doubt that you could get it true if welded. The 88 and older KIPS are no longer available so you have to scrounge one up. I think they are Aluminum, if you let them go to long and they gummed up you could shear the teeth off. both sides are the same on the 88 I might have one, the other for sure has the teeth gone, I'll check.

There is a guy in the UK that built some hot rod KX's for side cars, his name was Ben Ballard, his web site is: http://www.jbsracing.co.uk/ try him he might have some parts
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 08:35:29 AM »
If you have one with only the teeth gone do not through it away. I can and I'm sure others too, could bore the center out of a broken stem valve and put it on one with stripped teeth.
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline dave916

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 06:19:56 AM »
thanks guys for replys, could not find a contact number for the guy at jbs racing site , will try email him later, still looking at getting someone to weld it  depending on material, should be easy enough to get true by just rolling valve on flat surface, i dont think it would have to be that accurate as valve does not rotate at any great speed , they do feel a bit heaver than alloy,