Author Topic: how to check timeing?  (Read 1889 times)

Offline khaavet

how to check timeing?
« on: April 07, 2009, 12:09:15 PM »
so im still trying to find out what is wrong with my bike
so next step is to check timeing how do i know if my timeing is set correct. and is stock setting okay if so what is stock setting
the guy i bought this bike from had it rewound for a light that was on the bike not sure what that means and if it even plays in to this . please Help getting frustrated with bike as i have corrected jetting new clutch fixed kips, timeing on kips is perfect thanks to the famous stewart bolt, compresion is 150 only to things i can think of is timeing and carb issue HELP  :? :? :-(
WHEN IN DOUBT GAS IT!!!!
my bikes
kx 70
kx 80
cr 250
yz 490
yz 125
yz 250
zx 636r (for sale)
1990 kx 500 current bike

Offline Billua

Re: how to check timing?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 03:24:49 PM »
Bro, more info please. In what way is your bike not running right...Hard starting? Misses at low speed, will not idle Flutters while accelerating? Pings or seems to rev after you let off the throttle etc???

Cheers
2001 KX-500
Riding the Deserts of Nevada and Cali.

Offline don46

Re: how to check timeing?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 08:44:40 PM »
The easy answer is to pull off the mag cover, on the upper right side there is a mark in the cases, there are also 3 marks on the stator assembly, standard has the middle stator mark lining up with the single mark on the cases. the difficult way is to use a degree wheel and a dial indicator in the end you will be at the same place, the marks should line up, that is unless you've sheared a key, have you checked that?
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 07:29:37 AM »
The easy answer is to pull off the mag cover, on the upper right side there is a mark in the cases, there are also 3 marks on the stator assembly, standard has the middle stator mark lining up with the single mark on the cases. the difficult way is to use a degree wheel and a dial indicator in the end you will be at the same place, the marks should line up, that is unless you've sheared a key, have you checked that?

So what is the popular setup to run for timing? And is it even adjustable?
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:44:31 AM »
yes it is adjustable.  I tend to run mine a little on the advanced position while I've read that Stewart seems to like it retarded for a little more over-rev.  As far as any reccomendation, I believe its all in preference.  I know two of my buddies that I race with had their bikes build identical, to a "T" and one thought his worked better advanced and the other retarded.  So I would say just play with it to see what you think feels best to you.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 11:57:58 AM »
 From what I get, the adjustment is still between the marks. Center one is standard, the one counterclockwise retards the timing adding to top rpm's, and the next mark clockwise to the center is advancing it. Supposed to be better for tight technical tracks. Can't see needing more bottom end, so I went to the retard line. so I guess its true when people say that I'm retarded. :-P The book warns that damage will occur outside of those lines, so be careful testing.