Author Topic: help me, what can i use?  (Read 2668 times)

Offline bennieben

help me, what can i use?
« on: April 10, 2009, 07:35:59 AM »
my 1990 kx500 has a hole in the right side cover. should i weld it? i have access to an aluminum welder at work. or should i jb weld it? what would you guys do. what have you guys done in the past?
teamgodzilla since 2004...a dirtbike & atv riding club.  if your friends dont ride, then its time to get new friends :)    "a day without wheelies, is like i didnt go riding at all" (ben peralta)

Offline tharden

Re: help me, what can i use?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 08:02:52 AM »
If it was mine I would weld it regardless if I had a welder or had to pay someone else.

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 08:06:20 AM »
Fortunately, I haven't had any holes in my cases.  Depending on the damage, I would buy new or have it welded.  I've heard that welding aluminum is not like welding steel.  So, if you decide to have it welded, find an experienced aluminum welder.  You should be able to polish up the repair to the point that its un-noticeable.
Fear the government that fears your gun.

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 09:49:44 AM »
Have it welded. I have been welding aluminum for 25 years. If done right by an experianced welder there is no reason to buy a new one. I weld all the covers from the inside and in most cases you can hardly tell that it was welded. I get about $30.00 to weld a cover and if it shows up with JB weld on it, it will run about $60.00 and look like crap when it is done.

JFAB
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:52:57 AM by jfabmotorsports.com »
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline bennieben

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 10:16:28 AM »
ill weld it :)
teamgodzilla since 2004...a dirtbike & atv riding club.  if your friends dont ride, then its time to get new friends :)    "a day without wheelies, is like i didnt go riding at all" (ben peralta)

Offline dsrtrider

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 03:12:41 PM »
i was installing my clutch cover one time and didnt line up the pins and it cracked.  i had it welded(a few times to get it not to leak thru crack) but the person got it so hot it warped the lower corner slightly so it leaked thru the gasket.  i ended up doubling up on the gasket it that location and hasnt leaked since.  New clutch cover was like $400.

JB weld can work.  I have a fried who had a rock hit underside of his cases and made a crack in his yzf450.  He jb welded it and it hasnt leaked since.
current bike 2007 ktm 300 xc-w - keeping two strokes alive
1994 kx500 -sold-made me the man i am today

1990 kx500-sold
1982 kx250-sold
1979 rm125-sold
1978 kdx125 -sold
1977 xr75 - first bike

Offline Billua

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 04:53:23 AM »
i was installing my clutch cover one time and didnt line up the pins and it cracked.  i had it welded(a few times to get it not to leak thru crack) but the person got it so hot it warped the lower corner slightly so it leaked thru the gasket.  i ended up doubling up on the gasket it that location and hasnt leaked since.  New clutch cover was like $400.

JB weld can work.  I have a fried who had a rock hit underside of his cases and made a crack in his yzf450.  He jb welded it and it hasnt leaked since.

Buddy has DRZ 400 and just JB welded a missing chunk from his left side cover. has held fine, no oil leak, but he will replace the cover when he gets some $$$$
2001 KX-500
Riding the Deserts of Nevada and Cali.