Author Topic: Huge Power?  (Read 2708 times)

Offline KX5Zuki

Huge Power?
« on: April 10, 2009, 07:29:47 AM »
Hi, I am in the process of building a drag quad, and soon a bike as well, going for fastest single cylinder. So, I used to have a '86 KX500, loved it, except i could hardly reach the ground, haha. So, i began stuffing that motor into a '91 KX125 frame, then the drag bug bit, bit really hard. I moved to an apartment and no longer had a garage, so the bike got put on hold, so, still unfinished. But I found an '85 LT230, Suzuki QuadSport, and I had gotten my hands on another '86 KX5 from a dirt track car, the head was decked slightly, still runs 91 octane, but dynoed at 64hp to the rear tires of the cart. So, I am going to be taking my newest creation out to Sand Mtn., NV this weekend, leaving in a couple hours actually, but I have a feeling I am gonna have to do something crazy to keep up with the big bored 4 strokes and what not.

So, aside from balancing the rotating assembly, along with the 540cc kit, unless there is still a larger one out there, and drag pipe. What can I do? trying to avoid the nitrous as long as possible. But who here is not scared of the big 500 and wants more? BTW, the bike is getting the same 540cc kit in it as well. All sand drags, up hill.

Anyways if anyone is going to Sand Mtn this weekend, chase me down, its a red plastic LT230, fenders are way cut, 9 cup extremes in the rear. Or you may see me or my lady on my '08 KFX450 with sand stars on black rims in the rear, stocks up front, all stickers removed, white plastics, with the black/green DASA full pipe. Stop me and say hi. Id love to see some more KX5's out there!

stewart

Re: Huge Power?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »
hi glad your here get over ten posts and you can access more  stuff on the web page

Offline KX5Zuki

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 07:48:27 AM »
Thank you, I have lurked around here for a couple years now. But I keep hearing, "go back to kxriders, they know how to make power!" so, im back. haha. I was more than satisfied with the 500 back when it was still in a 500 frame. But, I have always had the go fast bug when it came to 4 wheels, but now its coming on hard in the 2 wheels, and hopefully 3, trying to pick up a tecate 3 wheeler.

Offline tharden

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 08:02:11 AM »
Just me, but I would use an engine from a 89 model 500 and up.  Parts are much easier to find.  From what I have heard about the kx5 motor being put into a quad is that they vibrate them to death.  So, I would probably take the crank, piston, wrist pin, and rings to a machine shop and balance them for the engine. Then give the cylinder and head to Stewart and let him build those up.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 08:49:24 AM »
i would also give stewart the rod crank and piston.

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 03:14:04 PM »
Sorry to go OT, but I live in Dayton. Some day we can hook up.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.