Author Topic: Aftermarket Crank  (Read 4280 times)

kawdude

Aftermarket Crank
« on: December 03, 2003, 02:30:19 PM »
Does anyone sell and aftermarket crank assembly for the kx500?  If not,  who is recommended to rebuild it.  Does a rebuild include balancing?  Thanks!

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Aftermarket Crank
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 02:56:43 PM »

1alldave

Aftermarket Crank
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 06:20:45 PM »
I had mine rebuilt with an IMS rod kit. The first time it was done, it slipped out of true again, this time I had the crankpin welded to the halves. What a difference in vibration this made! From what I understand from people who shuold know, ther is no way to balance a crank on a two stroke single. Shops are simply truing the crank when they say they are balancing it.

kawdude

Aftermarket Crank
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2003, 04:37:44 AM »
Has anyone had their crank rebuilt by Forward Motion (Eric Gore)?  According to his website it's $125 to rebuild with a hotrod kit.  Whereas, crankworks wants approximately $180 to do this using a prox rod.  Any differences in the rod kit?  When I do this can it be trued and balanced?  Are there different ways to balance the crank depending on what RPM range I run in?

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Aftermarket Crank
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 04:14:33 PM »
Eric, basicly did my whole motor including the crank, and no problems to speak of so far, it's a pain in the ass to start, but besides that, it's all good. I'm expecting jetting, who knows. He did a good job on everything, so, I would recommend him to anybody.

reknelb

Aftermarket Crank
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 04:08:25 AM »
from what I understand, you can never truely balance a crank. What they do is move the vibration into a different rpm range. EX., If you run wide open desert, they can balance your crank so the bulk of the vibes happen in the low and mid and smooths out in high rpms. This is what I've read, I'm not an expert on the topic so I could be totally wrong. :D

kawdude

Aftermarket Crank
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 04:23:57 AM »
You're correct.  That's the same information I've found.  I guess what it comes down to is how much the vibration will be reduced with truing alone.  Maybe my crank is not out of true.  I have no way of knowing.

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

crank
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 06:47:03 AM »
Has anyone tried Falicon about balancing. I talked to them months ago and was told they did the two stroke single and was getting a lot of work.Price was i think around 250.

kawdude

Good Service
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2004, 05:42:13 AM »
I wound up sending my crank to Gorr for the rebuild.  Sent it monday of this week and rec'd it back on thursday.  Pretty good service!  I'm most impressed.  I'm sure that this was not the crank I'd sent but that's ok.  Of course at this point, I have no idea if it's true or not...

Sharc

Aftermarket Crank
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2004, 06:20:39 AM »
Hope it works for you Kawdude. I've heard mixed reviews of Gorr's work. My friend has a KTM 300 and got the $1,000 "works" 310 kit. It blew up first ride, Gorr fixed it free, not it's fast but pipey...

Sharc

kawdude

Aftermarket Crank
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2004, 11:44:02 AM »
I've heard the good and bad.  It seems that dirtrider.net makes him out to be some sort of god which I don't buy.  The problem I have is that the bike vibrates badly so I figured 125.00 spent should provide a baseline to build from.  The topend's next.