Author Topic: kx 540 kit?  (Read 4685 times)

hydronerd

kx 540 kit?
« on: March 22, 2009, 09:35:10 AM »
has anyone built a la sleeve 540 kit.  rpm manufacturing is building me one for my 01 and i'm wondering how it will run.  also does anyone have any experience with rpm manufacturing?  do they do good work?

Offline cbxracer30

Re: kx 540 kit?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 01:31:00 AM »
My friends and I run the 540 kit from LA Sleeve only we don't use the sleeve I send the cylinders to US Chrome and have them replated. You can buy just the piston kit from LA .The sleeve allows you to over bore the cylinder one time the 88.4mm  bore comes out to about 525 then the next bore is 89mm thats the 540.you can also have the sleeved cylinder plated now by US Chrome so you don't have to resleeve the cylinder when its out of bore.Alot of guys didn't like the 540 kit because of the heavy piston they originally came with but they now machine the piston out to lighten it and eliminate the balance issue. We love our 540's. As for RPM I used to deal with Rick Peterson- bought some motors off of him- never had any problem with them or the motors all great stuff , but I think he sold out and isn't a part of it any more . So i'm not sure if they're like Maxpower -another racer friend I sent to them, he sent them his cylinder they screwed the porting and head up- they thought it was a CR top end not a KX- how do you make that mistake
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 03:25:04 AM »
I have seen good results with the 540 bore kit without the stroker crank.
As far as RPM Mfg. are you referring to the one out of one of the New England states?  If so, Maybe Tood will chime in as he knows the Pinsonnaults "Very Well".
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline Icerider

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 07:07:23 AM »
I'm just putting a 540 together which will be powering a quad. I sent my cylinder to Eric Gorr as he did good work on my other bikes and I didn't know about Stewarts work.. I'm using the LA sleeve piston and poking a hole in it like Stewart recommends which should help the vibes by being lighter. EG punched it out, replated and ported for bottom and mid power. With the quad being heavier than the bike I think the extra down low power should help.

I have a red 500 for huntin two wheel thumpers, now I wana go huntin thumpers on all fours....

Biggers better!

Offline GREENKAW24

• Pinsonnault Racing
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 09:33:31 AM »
RPM Manufacturing is not affiliated with Rick Peterson in any way. Two different companies. Your 540 kit from RPM Manufacturing will rip. Some people have stated that they do not like the 540 kit from seat of the pants riding or racing. I currently run an 88mm bore (523cc) KX500 which flies, and I have also run a 90.5mm bore (553cc) with a CR500 piston, and it was just as fast, but had more low end. As far as RPM Manufacturing goes, your dealing with people that have been building championship race motors before some of us were even born.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 09:36:11 AM by GREENKAW24 »

hydronerd

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 01:45:46 PM »
great.  thanks guys for the info.  i'm super exited to get on this thing.  my big brother has a sick 650xr and he's been spankin me on comp hill till now.  gotta show him what a big bore 2 stroke will
do to his flappin ass mouth.