Author Topic: Putting an 88 rear hub on a 92  (Read 1483 times)

Offline KXcam22

Putting an 88 rear hub on a 92
« on: March 25, 2009, 03:57:23 PM »
I am helping out Kx4life and need to fit an 88 rear hub onto a 92.  I understand the the hub may be wider and that we make have to fab some spacers. I am looking for some tips from anyone who may have done this before.  My main questions are:
1. If the hub is wider would it be easier to reduce the width of the stock 92 wheel spacers.
2. Do the stock spacers get tossed and replaced with fabbed ones.
3. Any mods required on the brake caliper carrier.
4. anyone know the new spacer widths required?

Thanks. Cam.

Offline DoldGuy

Re: Putting an 88 rear hub on a 92
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 10:19:08 PM »
Cam,

Look in the wanted section under hubs, I think all of the info you are looking for is there.

If memory still serves me, I put a 88 hub on my 93 & all I had to use were the spacers (no caliper or hanger issues).

Thanks for "Helping a Brother Out" , we are lucky to have such good guys on this forum as yourself :-)
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 03:43:50 AM »
Cam, you are a better man than I. I always appreciate that!

As for your question, I do believe it should go right up. I recall having a rear wheel from a 1989 KX125 and it fit right up to my KX500 (used it for a paddle tire). I never ran it due to the smaller size rim, but it did line up perfectly and sold it to somebody who was wanting to use it for their KX500. I think it is the same as a 88.

Offline no sub for cubes

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 06:57:12 AM »
http://fiche.ronayers.com/

This is a useful sight for microfiche`s ,i was going to replace my 88 with a later hub cos of wear on the drive side.if you look at the 88 k5 hub and then the 89 and later k5 on this sight  it gives you a good idea of what the diffs are.

hope this helps
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 06:59:22 AM by no sub for cubes »