Author Topic: KIPS frozen  (Read 6593 times)

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
KIPS frozen
« on: November 27, 2003, 12:47:42 PM »
Yup.... the little rod going into the cylinder is stuck tight.  I suppose Ya gotta pull the jug to repair?
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Rick

KIPS frozen
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 03:24:06 AM »
Crim,

I just posted some thoughts on this issue on your other post.  I have helped folks work through this problem before, and while it takes a little while, big green's bottom end can be resurected.

Rick

Offline gwcrim

KIPS frozen
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 04:01:32 AM »
Bottom end?  I'm not talking connecting rod here.  Just the KIPS actuator.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Rick

KIPS frozen
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 09:09:38 AM »
Nope, was talking about off idle (bottem end) throttle response, not repairing the bottom end of the motor.

The KIPS valve is designed to allow for increased exhaust gas flow as RPM's increase.  So, if your valve is stuck wide open, you will have a mid range "hit" as the RPM's catch up to the amount of exhaust gas that can move through the cylnder and exhaust port.  

Conversely, if your KIPS is stuck closed, fixing the problem will give you high RPM (top end) power once again.

Sorry for the confusion is wording...  :oops:

Rick

supermotard500

KIPS frozen
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003, 12:22:43 AM »
you have to pull the drum valves a few millimeters out of their holes. Maybe this will not be easy to do.
Then you can pull that "little rod" out.
Warning: I'm talking of the first powervalved KX with the two drum valves only, not the actual with the center power valve located in the main exhaust.

Niels

Offline gwcrim

KIPS frozen
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 07:41:56 AM »
Pulled the jug last night.  Needs a complete redo.  Any suggestions?  I'd like to send it out and get it back ready to bolt on w/a new piston.  Who does good work for the dollar?  The only place I've heard consistant raves about is Eric Gore.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
KIPS frozen
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2003, 08:16:56 AM »
B & B Racing is supposed to be a good one also. Contact John, he's killerkx327 on this site so send him a PM and see what he can do for you.

Offline gwcrim

KIPS frozen
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2003, 04:13:37 AM »
I worked on the KIPS over the weekend and got it to free up very nicely.  Since I'm in the middle of building a house, I think I'll just stick a new set of rings in and limp along for another year on the current top end.

What is the best way to clean and lube the KIPS?
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
KIPS frozen
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2003, 11:30:43 AM »
Use the dishwasher!

Nah, just kidding. Scrape the carbon and crust off, use white spirit for the goo and carburetor cleaner for the finish. Smear all the gear with two stroke oil and use high temperature grease for the rubber seals.

/John

kawdude

KIPS frozen
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2003, 12:44:58 PM »
Not to change the subject but I have a question.  It seems that my KX falls flat when pushed beyond midrange.  Would the likely cause of this be a malfunction valve or carburation?  Or both.  What's the better guess?

Offline gwcrim

KIPS frozen
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2003, 01:31:45 PM »
So what about that phillips screw?  That sucka is stuck tight.  Is heat an option?  I can't think of any other.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Rick

KIPS frozen
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2003, 06:22:22 AM »
Well, heat may help, but I use an impact with a really good quality philips bit that fits the screw perfectly.  Pull the trigger on the impact just a little while pushing the impact into the philips screw as hard as possible.  It won't take much to get the screw to start to come out.

If you don't have access to an impact, there is another solution that works just as well.  Using a small chisel (yup, I said chisel) and small hammer, place one edge of the chisle on the outside of the round head on the philips screw and tap the chisel with a hammer.  A few taps should do to get the screw started out.  I was forced to use this method at a National Hare & Hound several years ago when my oldest son lost the motor on his new KX500 during Saturday practice.  Fortunately, the Kawasaki semi had a spare cylinder and head gasket, but we had to swap all of the parts from one cylinder to another.   Unfortunately, my nitrogen tank in the van was dry from tire changes, so couldn't use the impact.  The small chisel and hammer worked just fine.

As a note, all this talk of power valves got me all lathered up, so last Saturday, we selected a couple of action movies to watch while we pulled the motors apart on both the 125 and 500.  Boy, I didn't think it had been THAT long since I cleaned the power valves, but it was certainly time for a cleaning.  Even slapped in a set of new rings just for giggles.  Since is was rainging on Saturday, we just spent the whole day working on the bikes watching Clint Eastwood kick some criminal tail.

On Sunday, it wasn't raining, so we headed for the desert for some motor testing and suspension tuning on the 125.  WOW, what a great day.  It's a blast having the boys eight years apart, as I have had a riding partner for a lot of years.  Unfortunately, the youngest was able to get around me in a sandwash on his little 125.  He's so good in the corners, I was forced to protect the inside lines in every turn, so he had to try and pass on the outside.  After several miles, he was carrying so much speed into every corner he was railing the corners up the outside walls.  I was having to drift from the inside to the outside in almost every corner, never shifting below 3rd.  I even drift out wide a couple of times so far that I almost drove him right out of the wash.  Much to my chagrin, the boy was able to pass me in a huge corner.  Don't think he ever shifted out of sixth gear as he inched by the big 500 still railing the inside berm.   While he wasn't able to get away for big green, he is so good in the corners, I wasn't able to put a pass back on for the lead.  Way too much fun...

Good luck on the continuing power valve rebuild.

Rick

Offline gwcrim

KIPS frozen
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2003, 09:29:38 AM »
I have a full sized impact gun, like for lug nuts.  I have an air ratchet I might try.  I'll have to get a phillips set up for it.

Man, I'm glad this is winter.  I like the leasurely pace of this rebuild.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

mikesmith

KIPS frozen
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2003, 09:43:34 AM »
I think thats a little over kill,it'll just destroy the phillips head,a hand impact is what you need,it's cheap and evey one should have one that works on bikes,it'll pay for its self in the trouble it'll save you.

Rick

KIPS frozen
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2003, 10:59:35 AM »
Nope, won't destroy the philips head at all as long as you don't employ the full power of the impact.  All you're looking for is a little nudge, which is why I recommended pulling on the trigger just a little.  It is also a good thing to turn the dial way down on the impact.  In fact, I used one on my philips screw on Saturday.  However, I NEVER use the impact to put it back together, as assembly is not the right place for the impact.

As for the hand impact, I hate those things.  Never could make them work worth a darn.  I've got one in the tool box, but only used it a few times.  After a couple of failures, I just grab an air tool...it's quicker.

Good luck.  Let us know how the rebuild turns out.

Rick