Author Topic: Fork Guards - '90 KX5  (Read 3700 times)

NVR-FNSH

Fork Guards - '90 KX5
« on: November 27, 2003, 12:34:04 PM »
My '90 KX5 has Acerbis Yamaha YZ fork guards - fairly common mod from what I understand.  The left/brake side guard has 'hose clips' for the front brake line on the back side (brake line runs between the guard and lower slider).  I swapped my '99 WR400 master cylinder onto the KX because I hate the stock lever on the KX and I really like to change over to a braided stainless brake line/Honda CR routing (Ride Engineering) like I'm running on my WR.  Only problem is finding fork guard that is set-up like the brake line retainer on my WR.  No, the WR won't fit because it has on cap screw facing forward and two facing to the side; the KX has two facing forward.

Anybody know of a particular fork guard that will work?

Brian

Offline demographic

Re: Fork Guards - '90 KX5
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 05:33:37 AM »
Quote from: NVR-FNSH
My '90 KX5 has Acerbis Yamaha YZ fork guards - fairly common mod from what I understand.  The left/brake side guard has 'hose clips' for the front brake line on the back side (brake line runs between the guard and lower slider).  I swapped my '99 WR400 master cylinder onto the KX because I hate the stock lever on the KX and I really like to change over to a braided stainless brake line/Honda CR routing (Ride Engineering) like I'm running on my WR.  Only problem is finding fork guard that is set-up like the brake line retainer on my WR.  No, the WR won't fit because it has on cap screw facing forward and two facing to the side; the KX has two facing forward.

Anybody know of a particular fork guard that will work?

Brian

I have a 90 KX 500 but don't have the foggiest notion what you're on about?

What does WR guard look like?

mikesmith

Fork Guards - '90 KX5
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 09:42:26 PM »
I have a braided steel brake lines and ran the front one CR style by using the stock KX clamp from the bottom of the fork,cutting the guide for the fork guard,counter sank the bolts on the back of the KX fork guard.Then some aluminum spacers to bolt up the brake line with the stock KX brake line clamp,hope I didn't loose you there.I ride in a lot of tight single track and haven't had it torn off by a tree,or it come loose ,zero problems running this set up.I'ts more responsive,not mushy like stock.

NVR-FNSH

Fork Guards - '90 KX5
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2003, 10:27:57 AM »
Demographic - the WR fork guard is 'solid' - it doesn't have any slots/openings in it.  It has two 'hooks' at the top of the guard that are the brake line guides and the brake line runs down the front of the fork guard and then loops under the bottom of the fork to attach to the brake caliper.

The stock fork guards on a '90 are very narrow (as viewed from the front) and leave the polished lower fork tubes exposed to a lot of trail/track junk being thrown into them.  The YZ guards on my bike wrap around the fork tube and offer a lot more protection.

mikesmith - are the late model KX5 guards 'solid' with two bolt holes facing forward?

Brian

mikesmith

Fork Guards - '90 KX5
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2003, 09:25:34 AM »
There stock '94 fork guards,2 bolts in front,1on the side.Sorry, I'm not sure about what you ment by solid?

NVR-FNSH

Fork Guards - '90 KX5
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 02:14:18 PM »
mikesmith,
The YZ guard has 3-4 'windows' in it that have retaining fingers on the inside (next to fork leg) to hold the brake line - the brake line is supposed to be routed between the fork tube and fork guard.  You can see the brake line thru the windows from in front of the bike.

It sounds like the guards off a '94 will work for what I want to do.

Thanks,
Brian

mikesmith

Fork Guards - '90 KX5
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 08:43:01 AM »
I was kind of worried they would flop around from cutting the guide at the top,but there fine,no problems.

Offline demographic

Fork Guards - '90 KX5
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2003, 08:49:58 AM »
Quote from: NVR-FNSH
Demographic - the WR fork guard is 'solid' - it doesn't have any slots/openings in it.  It has two 'hooks' at the top of the guard that are the brake line guides and the brake line runs down the front of the fork guard and then loops under the bottom of the fork to attach to the brake caliper.

The stock fork guards on a '90 are very narrow (as viewed from the front) and leave the polished lower fork tubes exposed to a lot of trail/track junk being thrown into them.  The YZ guards on my bike wrap around the fork tube and offer a lot more protection.

Brian

Ahhh, now I understand what you mean.

Mine are kind of skinny and have the guides in both of em (they are both the same part to be honest).
That works OK for me cos mine gets used on the road and the right side one holds a plastic tube (Kawasaki green but says Guinness on it cos its the beer line from a pub :wink: ) that has the speedo wire running through it :D

What other motocrossers had 41 mil Kayabas?