Author Topic: reed adjustment  (Read 2209 times)

Offline fluffy

reed adjustment
« on: March 17, 2009, 12:26:56 PM »
i was looking on the back of the vforce instruction and noticed reed tension adjustment. any info on what that is? thanks for anything on it.

Offline KXcam22

Re: reed adjustment
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 03:43:43 PM »
Reed tension is the force that opposes the reeds opening, essentially the springiness of the reed material.  It is normally set by the thickness of the reed material and the number of petals (thicker and less petals = more tension) I am not sure how they would adjust this other than with increasing the size of the washers, or reed stop, on the retaining screws to shorten the effective length of the "spring". Someone help me out here. Cam.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 04:03:20 AM by KXcam22 »

stewart

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 07:08:44 PM »
the v force work better in the tighter setting on k 5

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 12:57:01 AM »
I haven't looked at the one you sold me yet stewart, but is there multiple settings, or how do we set it for tight?
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

stewart

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 12:58:46 AM »
they are set by loosening the three phillips screws and moveing the reed stop in or out

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 12:52:32 PM »
One of the times I spoke with the tech reps at Moto Tass. the guy told me he didnot recomend running the cage for the K5 on any position but the tightest setting . the adjustment would work if the reed itself was made of their thicker material but its not and they don't make it so leave the cage set on tightest or your reed life will be shortened.
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline BDI

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 02:18:09 PM »
A soft reed will work good at low rpm / low intake velocity. The pettals can open and close at the right time but as rpm goes up / intake velocity, they do not have the tention to open and close correctly and they will start to flutter. I amagine this fluttering could cause some fragil carbon reeds to brake but that's just speculation. Stiff reeds work better at high rpm, This compromise is why they make duel stage reads, but they are a compromise also. I run my V's on the stiff setting and they seam to work great. They have as good of a throttle response as the duel stage reeds I have run and kill them every where else.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 04:01:24 PM »
I just loosened the screws and moved the stop out toward the tip. To make it more stiff. Ever had issues with screws backing out?
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 04:30:09 PM »
I once had issues with metal yamaha reeds when I opened the reed stops. The tips started chipping due to fluttering. Not cool with metal. Luckily it was a warantee issue as the reed stops must have come opened from the factory. Cam.