Author Topic: Pipe Guard  (Read 3695 times)

Offline serafin

Pipe Guard
« on: March 30, 2009, 07:59:02 AM »
Hi everyone
I smashed my pipe at one of our local Desert Races last month and figured it was time to get a pipe guard.  So I sprung for a Moose Racing Pipe
Armor guard.  Its one of those stamped aluminum universal wrap around guards that clamps to the pipe.  The aluminum is quite thick and took quite a bit of time tweaking (I must have spent about 2-3 hours working with it) to make it fit.  The stock pipe with the way its made with raised seams and its unique bends made guard look a bit on the cheesy side as it just didn't quite fit as tight as it should along with the hose clamps that are used to attach it makes it look kind of rough.  But if it will help with protecting the under side of the pipe I guess looks won't really matter that much.  Somewhere I saw a KX500 with a skid plate that was extended and had a wraparound under the pipe but haven't been able to find the manufacturer.  Here are a few pics.

Serafin

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: Pipe Guard
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 08:41:47 AM »
Installed mine and did a full test 4 hours later,  told the bike to stay on 2 wheels, it didn't listen. I went left and the bike went right.  Both of us ended on the rocks.  Broke the upper pipe mount, protector saved the pipe.  Helmet saved my head.
KX 500 Rider

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 10:24:56 AM »
Heres mine.

2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline BasketCase

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 05:27:22 AM »
Did you make it yourself?
Nitrous is like a hot chic with STD's , you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences.

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 06:40:04 AM »
Here's a picture of mine. It is an AC Racing guard. I'm pretty sure they quit building this one,,,might be one out there on a shelf not sold yet. I like it,,,I put silicone where it made contact with metal to take the rattles out.
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 06:54:34 AM »
Did you make it yourself?

I'd like to say I did (if you were talking to me!). PO did it. Very stout plate.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 07:21:14 AM »
This is the pipe guard that I built. It was easy and it indestuctible.  When I build my next one I am going to mold in an extra mount to attache the guard to the frame. Cam.

ps the instuctional how to is in my gallery, and I added a pic of why you need them. :-D

http://www.kxriders.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=92
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 08:19:45 AM by Danger4u2 »

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
Cam, is that guard fiberglass or kevlar?  I could do a fiberglass one, but I dunno anything about kevlar.

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 10:25:44 AM »
Cam,
Looks very sweet!  I've been thinking of a figerglass one, as my buddies dad has an autobody shop and is extremely talented.
How does that hold up with the heat of the pipe?  Any heat-shield behind the guard?
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 11:57:31 AM »
Danger, my bike doesnt listen either, thank goodness for pipe guards and helmets.
 Danger where did you get your pipe guard ?
 KXcam what is yours made of ? (I will check gallery later)
  If only pipes were cheaper, then I could have a dozen to try, and smash.
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline KXcam22

Re: Pipe Guard't knoe
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 01:15:13 PM »
My guard is partially made out of Kevlar just because (had some at work), but fiberglass roving is fine.  It was extremely easy to build (pipe off the bike and wrapped in saran wrap) maybe about 3 hours total.  I used regular fiberglass resin and cloth.  I possibly should have used high temp resin but I didn't now it existed.  Inside heat sheild is a piece of tin foil.  Resin smell vanished after about 4 rides. There is a thread here somewhere that explains the whole thing.  Anyway, it is indestructible, handles the heat and made out of shop FG scraps  I plan to build another one soon for a new addition to the family. Cam.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 01:56:23 AM »
Looks like he quit making them for the FMF Gnarly, just shows Pro Circuit.

http://www.elineaccessories.com/shop/Details.asp?ProdID=344&category=10
KX 500 Rider

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 10:59:27 AM »
Danger, that's sick!

Cam, thanx for the info, I just may do something similar! :evil:  I didn't know fiberglass would work, but have some experience with it.  I guess anything would be better than busting up the pipe.  It's already dented up bad though... :|