Author Topic: 95 kx500 not what I thought =(  (Read 6915 times)

Offline muleman

95 kx500 not what I thought =(
« on: March 09, 2009, 09:15:10 AM »
Ok i just bought a street legal 95 kx500. Took it for a ride and it was slow?  I found the power valve clip was off. I installed a new one and went for a 2nd ride. Now it is a lot better. Throtle wheels 1,2,and maybe 3 but it is not a monster like I hear from everyboby.  So I got out the comp gauge and on a warn motor it read 110psi (105-164 is spec). So now I needs sum rings but is there any thing else I can do to make it rip(and yes I am a cheap bastard).  I am going to make a reed spacer,it has a fmf fatty, I will install new piston and rings.  please help..
 I just sold a 07 sxv450 aprilia and I also have a 03 hayabusa with a 40 shot of nos. Maybe I am just expexting to much? I had my freind ride it and he said it is faster than his old fzr600 but I don't think it is..

Offline BDI

Re: 95 kx500 not what I thought =(
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 10:33:48 AM »
Reed spacer is not what your looking for if you want to make the bike fast. There good for bottom end power but bad for top end power. The KX500 does not lack bottom end power when it is running right. As fast as my Kx500 is it feals like I'm crawling when I step off my GSXR1000 and get on the dirt bike. Don't worry though the kx500 can be made very nasty for a dirt bike.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline muleman

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:41:55 AM »
Ok so it is probley me than and not the bike. I mite check my gearing because It was converted to a street bike at one time in its life.

Offline BDI

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 05:38:06 PM »
Your comp does sound low to me did you check it with the throttle wide open? Don't get me wrong Kx500s are very fast stock and can be made stupid fast. Mine will spin the tire on asphalt in second just by stabing the throttle. You can grab third and burn it all the way down the street. I have had it in fifth gear before still burning the tire off. If you want to make your bike fast you came to the right place.

Offline muleman

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 11:11:24 AM »
Ok more updates. I did forget to open the throttle. I am 145-150 on a cold motor. But my gearing is 15/45.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 01:14:08 PM by muleman »

Offline dsrtrider

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 03:00:03 PM »
stock gearing is 14/47 but thats for moto.  baja racers were running 16/42 from what i remember for high speed. you do have tall gearing so you should be fast but may not have the pull for normal trail offroad.  14/47 will pull monster wheelies and be fast.  i use 15/47 for normal desert riding .. fast and has pull
current bike 2007 ktm 300 xc-w - keeping two strokes alive
1994 kx500 -sold-made me the man i am today

1990 kx500-sold
1982 kx250-sold
1979 rm125-sold
1978 kdx125 -sold
1977 xr75 - first bike

Offline muleman

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 08:02:08 AM »
Yeah I am not looking to go 110 with this bike. I want more of a wheelie monster.  Thanks for your help

Offline muleman

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 06:13:49 AM »
Ok Ripped the cylinder off, and I can't belive all the casting slag left in the ports. Cleaned the cylinder up, Called stewart and ordered a piston, gaskets (great guy). Turned out my jetting is way off 160 main,60 slow jet. The piston was almost brand new (if it was a weisco I would have milled in the window my self). Clean the power valve up and fine tuned it (cut bolt to lenght to stop over rotation)
  Hopefully when I get it bad together it will pull like a crazy mofo. I really love how simple this bike is to work on.

Offline BDI

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 07:45:19 AM »
I'm Running 14-45 on my bike. I love that gearing it works great and it puts the wheel in the last 75% of the adjustment range If your chain is good. The slightly longer wheel base helps with high speed stability and hard second gear lounches. The bike will still wheelie over in fifth gear just by rolling it on. I'm getting ready to try out 15-47 gearing now that I'm running the Q-16. It will be like three down in the back instead of two down from stock.

Offline sharpy

• My wife is the best rider EVER! squirt!!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 08:05:48 AM »
As fast as my Kx500 is it feals like I'm crawling when I step off my GSXR1000 and get on the dirt bike. Don't worry though the kx500 can be made very nasty for a dirt bike.

OK, so my kx will never have the bottom end my Aprilia Mille R?? Thats what I'm looking for. Waaaaaaap!!

Offline muleman

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 09:12:33 AM »
Well my daily bike is a 03 hayabusa with a 40 shot of nos. Best et is 8.9 1/4. I know that this kx is not going to be thay kinda bike. But I bought it so I can ride to the trails and have fun on the way there. I just sold a ape sxv450 and it was very fun but the maint sucks..

Offline jdcowboy

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 11:52:18 AM »
Your comp does sound low to me did you check it with the throttle wide open? Don't get me wrong Kx500s are very fast stock and can be made stupid fast. Mine will spin the tire on asphalt in second just by stabing the throttle. You can grab third and burn it all the way down the street. I have had it in fifth gear before still burning the tire off. If you want to make your bike fast you came to the right place.

What on God's green earth have you done to your K5?  Mine is one mean machine but I could not do anything of that nature.  1st off what are you riding on the front fender?  In 3rd are you dropping the clutch?  What kind of horsepower are you running?  What are the cheapest, easiest power mods?

Yes, no matter the K5 is no match for the crotch rockets. 

Offline kx560

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 12:07:20 PM »
Give the motor to Stewart and then write back. I am sure you wont be disappointed. Although q16 would be pretty hard to find at the local gas station. I'm glad to see that you are not making the same mistakes I made and have the chance to get it done right the first go around. Good luck.

Offline BDI

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 06:30:34 AM »

What on God's green earth have you done to your K5?  Mine is one mean machine but I could not do anything of that nature.  1st off what are you riding on the front fender?  In 3rd are you dropping the clutch?  What kind of horsepower are you running?  What are the cheapest, easiest power mods?

Yes, no matter the K5 is no match for the crotch rockets. 
That's burnning it into third from second and never lifting. The tire is already greased up at that point. Doing burnouts like that are all or nothing. You hve to keep it spinning hard so it don't hook.

Offline muleman

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 09:07:55 AM »
Well I just recive my wiseco piston, ported the jug (trail port) ordered a 44mm lectron. We will see the power now.