Author Topic: K5 with sidecar?  (Read 9740 times)

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
Re: K5 with sidecar?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 02:38:24 AM »
hell yeah !! wicked vid aint,it  :-D
its sick ,man do i love sumosidecars..

a belgian buddy of me is gonna build one ,
from an excisting eml kx500 combo
he ,ll prolly put his project here too p

we agreed ill be his ridingmate ,
bit sad i,m 200 miles away

So you're building a super motard rig?

Unless you're in the world champion class....a KX500 is a fantastic motor to put in a sidecar....especially here in the states. Easy to work on....as maintenece free as you can get in a race machine....just about bullet proof....STRONG...and parts are widely available.
My ex and I won races on a bone stock KX500...motor taken out of my "girly" 500. LOL
No, it's not always about the biggest best, the latest greatest.

Most of ours came here from Europe. They are the beat up, worn out ones no longer considered race worthy over there. That sounds bad....but it's sort of the truth.

Our National schedule is on hyadus, at the moment. Just not enough teams.
There is a Grand Prix series in Southern California, Big 6 with AMA District 37.
It's a tough way to go to set out on your first race and race an entire hour.
For maintenence reasons...it's also harder to get sidecar owners willing to fork over their rigs to a new team to pummel it for an hour. Just how things go.

An MX....I will cut just about anyone loose (unless I know you're an idiot that doesn't know how to use a throttle) on one of my rigs ....after some short practice lessons have been done. Practice with an experienced team is important so ya don't make mistakes that can hurt you. A half hour to 45 minutes of doing figure 8s will usually clue most teams in on how to work together....and why it is so important to.

Several people have been trying to build and rebuild an mx series.
Modern MX tracks do not lend itself to sidecar MX racing...at all. A sidecar needs a fair amount of distance to get up to speed enough to even attempt a double....and if you miss....you're seriously injuring 2 people.
As a result....we roll over everything. Looks stupid as you can get. Certainly doesn't look "cool"....like at all. It looks stupid and feels stupid doing it if you've ridden at speed. But...on a track suited for us....we can flat out HAUL.
Not real often you can twist a kx5....and want MORE!!!!!!!!

YEEEEEE HAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!
For several years, we raced as a support class at AHRMA Post Vintage Nationals, and hope to again in the future. The tracks are toned down for vintage and post vintage racing....and suit sidecars perfectly. There are still jumps....but mostly table tops...so if you come up short....you don't die.

Now....all we need is teams.
If you are in the Northern California area, or plan to be....feel free to drop me a line and I will be glad to set up a ride....and show ya what's it's all about.
I do also make run down to Southern CA.....so...if in doubt...ask!

Truly a fantastic sport!

A small sport here in the states...pretty big in Europe. The economy hit us hard last year and this.

peace,
janette

great story ,gives an inside look on how this small world sticks together.
but i must correct your conclusion,its a buddy of me building it .
we were plannin fer it ,but i,m btween jobs  :| so very little cashflow here..

now he,s gonna rebuild it and even will try to get a plate for it ,
dunno if it,ll work out ,but it sure would be a kicker ..

he has it at his shop now ,but i have a pic of the rig .
since he,s way less active around here then me ,i,ll guard his interests.

Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline KXsidecar

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 07:04:46 AM »
Hey KXfreak,

That is a nice sidecar. That is one of the last years for the EML kit sidecars. Very similar to mine. I would guess that is a 1990? The EML kit sidecars used 75% of the KX500. Besides the motor they also used the wheels,brakes,controls,plastics and more. If you need parts you can just go to the KAW shop. That's the way it should be. I will never sell mine. I would like to see pics when he is done with it.

Mike

Thorina

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 08:57:01 AM »
my buddy todd has done acouple of lackeys bikes. and i just bought lackeys brothers kx500. i may make it to the taft weekend. still unsure about it. i maybe riding hollister this friday. i have an 1980 xr500 that i have thought about racing post vintage,but i would like to be on a kawie if i can. todd has a couple kx480(i think thats what size they r) that he is working on.
im still new to a lot of this. ive been riding sence i was 12(almost 27yrs now) but ive been on croch rockets then harleys for almost all of it. so now im having to retrain my brain to think like a dirt rider. its funny to get on my 700lbs harley after riding my 200lbs k5 then go to my(old man)xr they all have lots of power. all deliver it differantly

SWEET!!!!!!
Hey...keep in touch, man, seriously.
I may just drop off the planet, but you can always shoot me a "hey, what's up!" e mail: jay@sidecarsportsltd.com 

I may bypass Tulare this weekend JUST to get my bike back together....cuz I've had a ride-on BAD for 2 months now. Vintage, PV, modern, sidecar...I don't care....I am riding SOMETHING with wheels by next weekend come hell or high water, dang it.
Gonna get one of those minibikes from Kragen if I have to.  :-D :-D :-D

...ya gotta remember....there's bumps in the dirt...but you generally don't have to worry about cell phone talking minivan drivers...or getting run over by a semi.

peace,
janette

Offline Norway

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 05:07:33 AM »
Mmmmm......
Just what I need....!!
Low-cost racing was the idea... Used to be...

Offline khaavet

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 07:33:09 AM »
hey norway i am going to guess that you live in norway  :-D what part? i was born and raised in norway my self in porsgrunn.
WHEN IN DOUBT GAS IT!!!!
my bikes
kx 70
kx 80
cr 250
yz 490
yz 125
yz 250
zx 636r (for sale)
1990 kx 500 current bike

Offline KXsidecar

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 09:49:28 AM »
 :-D Posted a few pics of my KX500 EML sidecar in the gallery. '91 EML kit Kawasaki KX500 Motor is ported by FMF and has FMF ram valve, VH sidecar exhaust. Other than that motor is stock. Currently rebuilding with all black plastics. Updated pics soon.

KXsidecar
Mike