Author Topic: rear hub fix  (Read 5847 times)

Offline k5for-life

• its not what you ride its that you ride thats all
rear hub fix
« on: March 06, 2009, 02:58:55 AM »
ok guys i just know im going to get a lot of crap but hey this is a fix i did for my rear hub i have a busted carrier ring (this is only till i get a new rear wheel) i used an old sprocket i used what i had
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 05:09:41 AM by Danger4u2 »
in thee begining man become of the dirt and in thee end he shall return to the dirt in the mean time we shall give him a kx500 and the dirt shall be his play ground

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
Re: rear hub fix
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 04:37:16 AM »
just wanna say my friend ,take real good care with that fix ,and get another hub ASAP please  :wink:
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 05:08:48 AM »
just wanna say my friend ,take real good care with that fix ,and get another hub ASAP please  :wink:

I agree, that looks very dangerous.  Not only is that a good "get stranded on the trail" problem, it's a "I got hurt real bad and was stranded on the trail" problem.
The K5 has to much horse power to run something like that.  We are only saying this because we want to see you here in the future.
KX 500 Rider

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 05:36:09 AM »
Yes, that looks very painful. A visit to the emergency room is cheaper than a hub and respoking. Better yet, you can get a rear wheel pretty cheap off ebay.

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 09:02:56 AM »
No need for Ebay. I already offered him one for $50.00
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 06:11:43 AM »
It is my experience that hubs with broken sprocket tangs don't live very long.  Even loose bolts are often enough to kill them.  I use grade 8 bolts, red loctite, super-torque and sacrifice a few chickens when I do mine up.  I think the secret is in the chickens. Cam.

Offline k5for-life

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 08:17:23 AM »
i knew i was going to get flak this is only needed to last 10 hours and as soon as i got money i will get a new hub even my shop was amazed at how strong it is
in thee begining man become of the dirt and in thee end he shall return to the dirt in the mean time we shall give him a kx500 and the dirt shall be his play ground

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 10:04:08 AM »
I like it! That's the kind of backyard fix I would do in a pinch.

torch

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 11:39:15 AM »
K5,
  That actually a good macgyver fix, but for an emergency and not general riding. We're not giving you flak, just showing concern from members who may have done similar and had it not go so well (and have the scars to prove it). Cam.

Offline k5for-life

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 12:37:56 PM »
K5,
  That actually a good macgyver fix, but for an emergency and not general riding. We're not giving you flak, just showing concern from members who may have done similar and had it not go so well (and have the scars to prove it). Cam.
its only for a day of riding ( i only did it so i can ride on my b day thats all)

Offline BDI

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 01:25:58 PM »
Sometimes a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.  8-)
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline k5for-life

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 03:23:57 PM »
hahahaah see bdi yours is a lil more painfull is it brakes

Offline Speedway73

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 03:36:49 PM »
Do a little research on the Maico's from the early '80's when the hubs weren't heat treated.

Bad...bad things will happen.

Bad Juju....very bad juju.

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 06:21:07 AM »
hahahaah see bdi yours is a lil more painfull is it brakes

If BDI's breaks the tire will stay on, the bike will role and he wont even know it until he washes it in a week or so. WHEN yours fails you will not only be saving up for a new hub but most likely a new clutch actuater arm, push rode, mag cover, stator, flywheel and a left side case. Knowing what you have said about your riding skill I have no dought that you can ride out the unexpected 80 mph power slide that well likely insue.
   Then again it might work.
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline BDI

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 06:50:44 AM »
I would never encourage some one to rig something dangerously. I do understand what it's like to want to ride so bad that your willing to do things that are questionable. I have done somethings in my time that I'm very lucky didn't get me seriously hurt or killed.  I'm sure most of us here have.  Taking risks and doing things that that you shouldn't do are all part of growing up. I have to say your rigging job is very clever but if it fails it could be catastrophic. No one is trying to dog you they are only trying to give brotherly advice that is backed up by a real concern for your safety. Ride hard, have fun and  look that thing over every time you stop. Also fix it right, asap.

P.S. My welded wheel has been going strong for six monthes now :-D
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!