Author Topic: Changing Fork Seals HELP!!!!  (Read 2801 times)

Offline wreck-n-roll rik

Changing Fork Seals HELP!!!!
« on: March 27, 2009, 05:12:42 PM »
Well spring is almost here and I want to ride - Bike has been in all winter just waiting but today when I went down to check on it there was a pool of oil from fork seal.  I have gone through the direction on listed but my spring will not come out.  How hard of a pull do they take?  :?Yes the cap is off.

Offline wreck-n-roll rik

Re: Changing Fork Seals HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 05:13:26 PM »
Bike is a 1994 with inverted forks.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 06:11:16 PM »
If  you removed the fork cap and unthreaded the damper rod from the cap, the spring should pull out very easily. Cam.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 12:38:08 AM »
Just as Cam said remove the fork cap from the cartridge rod (I believe it is a 17 mm nut on the rod) and pay attention to the position of the little aluminum piston at the top of the rod (under the cap for rebound adjustment). If you can not remove the spring after that (I read on here about the plastic guides swelling) remove the base valve at the bottom of the fork leg and the entire cartridge rod will come out with the spring and you can then determine what is holding the spring. I also highly recommend a set of seal drivers (43mm for yours I think) if you do not have already have them.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 01:38:53 AM »
If you have already removed the fork caps and can't pull the springs out then your plastic guides have swollen from the "swell" in the Belray oil . You'll have to pull the forks apart and push the guides out and sand down the edges with a sanding block til it slides in and out of the spring with ease. Other wise your suspension will be very stiff and stick.
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline wreck-n-roll rik

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 03:49:47 AM »
Thank's for the help.  Still wont pull apart but I'll keep trying or take them into be rebuilt at a local shop. 

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 05:35:35 AM »
I had to sand my of my guides once when I bought some racetech springs and one was slightly smaller that the other. Cam.

Offline muleman

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 07:21:25 AM »
Go to youtube there is a nice 3 part video on replacing fork seals.

Offline wreck-n-roll rik

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 04:27:13 PM »
Thanks again for the input.  Finished up the job this evening, it took a bit to pull the springs out but they came.  I had to sand more than I thought I would to get the inserts to slid freely.  Wont know how good a job was done for a few day or so, I decided since the bile was apart to have the rear shock rebuilt and get a new tire to start the season.  THanks