Author Topic: does anyone have their clutch out. i have problems and questions about assembly  (Read 2055 times)

Offline KXT500

my 91 kx5 has had a clutch problem from the day that i got it. when you pulled the clutch it would not completely disengage.

well i had a busted 87 kx5 on the shelf and the baskets are the same. so i checked the 87 out and basket looked like new.

i tore the 91 apart and the basket was very worn and so was the pressure plate. the clutch fibers looked new but it had aluminum metal disk and they were worn.

the questions start now. the 91 only had a small washer between the hub and basket. all the pics that i have seen show a large washer there.

in this pic where does the large and small washer go? i know the flat one goes under the nut.

if you have yours out and can take pics plese do.

i used the steel disk, pressure plate, and basket out of the 87. they also looked new. the hub was different due to the carnk splines.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Better get yourself a Manual, KXT. I don't think I'm supposed to copy pages out of mine. Big washer goes on before hub, plates and discs, then hub, then star washer, then nut. tighten to 72 ft lb.s, punch the nut to set it, add discs and steels, clutch rod, clutch pusher( goes on end of rod, the small washer goes between that and the bearring in the pressure plate. Hope that helps.

stewart

small washer first on shaft,,then clutch basket then big  washer ,,then small splined washer under nut
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 02:59:09 AM by stewart »

Offline KXT500

small washer first on shaft,,then clutch basket then big  washer ,,then small splined washer under nut

thanks. that is what i thought, but it always helps to have some expert advice. the manuals and diagrams can miss stuff.

i have an oem manual for the 87 kx500 but i do need to get one for the 91 model.

i also have have one for a 86 tecate. you would be amazed at how much these are alike.