Author Topic: fly wheel weights on my'91 k5?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline turtle22

• '89 & '01 kx500 '87 fxr HD '80 xr500
fly wheel weights on my'91 k5?
« on: March 03, 2009, 03:24:48 AM »
(sorry if this is an old topic, i did search with minuimal results)
so a buddy of mine that i respect as a rider and mechanic, has been telling me about how wonderful weights are and what a night and day differance it will make in my k5. i spend about 90% of my riding in 2nd or 3rd gear. a lot of tree lined trails and i love to ride the hills(mountains) around my area.
he was telling me how i would be able to lug the motor down,with a lot less chances of stalling,it would extend the life of my cluch(cause i would not be feathering it in hard areas)
when i asked about weight he said the heavier the better,14ozs is the recominded weight from the make of the product.
pros and cons?
lets ride

Offline KXcam22

Re: fly wheel weights on my'91 k5?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 05:44:46 AM »
I put a 16oz on my K5.  It is helpful but It didn't make as much a difference as I expected, or nearly as much as I noticed on other bikes. Cam.

Offline turtle22

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 07:39:55 AM »
do u think that has any thing to do with who makes them? is one product going to be betterr then another?
lets ride

Offline Icerider

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:29:03 AM »
I run a 13oz on my red 500 and can't say enough about it. Like your buddy says, it starts easier, lugs like a tractor, and is just so much easier to ride even when riding with my daughters just putn around. No more feathering the clutch just dump it and idle away. No stalling. You can have two bikes, a ripper without the weight and a 4 stroke with it. Off and on in minutes.

Only time I noticed it costs any power is when drag racing and 4-5th gear wheelies, even then it not to noticeable.

If the weight is made with more steel further from the center of the flywheel, it will have more of an effect with less weight.

My trials ( not trail) bike actually has two weights, each VERY heavy. It will out lug any four stroke I have ever riden.

For something really cool, check out Jeff Wards flywheel weight (pics on on here somewhere). It uses a brass collar around the outside of the flywheel which does a couple of things. It gives you more flywheel effect with less weight and places the weight closer to the crank bearing for better bearing life. The collar is held in place by the magent weight screws.Way to cool! I'm definitely making one of these, or several of different weights. You could likely get a machine shop to make it for roughly what a new FWW will cost.

Offline turtle22

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 11:08:06 AM »
very nice. i will look in to that. so far i like every thing i  hear about weights. does not seem to me much on the down side. i keep most my wheels to 2nd and 3rd gear anyways 8-)
lets ride