Author Topic: NE OHIO NEWB  (Read 4038 times)

Offline kxdel

NE OHIO NEWB
« on: November 10, 2008, 09:18:57 AM »
Hi all.  I'm new to this site and a new owner, of all things, a 1993 KX500.  I found it on my local craigslist last week and got it home Thursday.  The bike looks like new and the motor is 3 ride fresh.  The PO bought the bike in a box and rebuilt it including all new plastic, tires, sprockets, forks and motor (bearings, seals, clutch basket and plates, top end with a fresh jug).  The problem that I'm having is getting the beast to start.  The bike sat for a year or two with old gas and not started.  I have pulled the carb off and cleaned it and installed a new plug but it still won't start.  I have read the threads on starting the 500 and maybe I'm not "kicking it like I stole it".  So any advice would be helpful.  And no I'm not crazy for buying something this big, it isn't my first bike.  As of right now there are 6 others in the garage keeping the 500 company, 5 street bikes (4 suzukis and 1 kawasaki) and 1 dirtbike (1980 CR250R Elsinore).  My previous open class MX machine was a 1982 Maico 490, but that was 20 years ago.  It too was a beast but it atleast had a compression release to aid in the starting.  So all you 500 riders feel free to help me out so I can enjoy this monster to the fullest.  Glad to be aboard,  kxdel  (Dan)

p.s.  I'll post some pics when I get a chance

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
Re: NE OHIO NEWB
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 09:54:25 AM »
Where abouts in Ohio are you?  I'm near Steubenville.

As for starting the beast, I'm having a compression release put on mine this winter.  I can start it, but I'm getting lazy in my old age.  Otherwise, follow the instructions you read here.  I can get mine to light up as instructed but it takes a FULL body kick.  No wimpy 250 leg kicks!
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline GDubb

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 10:10:04 AM »
Have you checked the jetting? There is a jetting chart that has proved very usefull to many people floating around here... I have a copy of it saved in my gallery so I (and others) can reference it quickly.  Here is a youtube video I stumbled upon of someone starting a H***a CR500 and is pretty close to the exact method I use to start my KX500. The only thing different that I do that is not shown in this video, is leaning the bike over to one side AFTER turning on the gas and then standing it back up (repeatedly if needed) until gas flows from the overflow tube. Then I start where the guy rocks the bike back and forth. Starts within 3 kicks no matter how long it has sit. And my bike sits ALOT for long periods of time. I'm sure you knew most of this already but its the basic rundown of starting these things. On a safety note.... I always where my boots when starting my 500... not like this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvuFlYM--E4

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline GDubb

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 10:17:59 AM »
One more thing... Welcome to KXRiders!  You came to the right place.  8-)

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline kxdel

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 01:07:36 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and the input.  I'm still trying to get the beast started, but no luck yet.  I've been stuck at work alot lately, so no time for the 5hundie.  My son came over and tried and left worn out and with a sore foot.  I'm not giving up just yet.

gwcrim, I'm up here in beautiful Wayne Co.  If and when I do get it running, the boys at work want to head down your way to ride, Wellsville.  So I'll keep you posted.

Offline dans89kx500

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 01:18:19 PM »
There is a whole section on starting the KX500, do a search and check out (if you havent already). Also, my experience, if you've kicked so much your foot is sore, there might be something else going on with the bike. Sometimes in can be something very simple.
There is some awesome tech's on the list, guys who really know the K5.

Daniel in Vacaville
Daniel in Vacaville
1989 KX500
2000 Husaberg FC501
2009 Husqvarna TC510

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 01:26:04 PM »
Just let me know when.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline kxdel

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 10:12:50 AM »
 :-D  I got it started today, finally.  It was a sheared flywheel key and nothing more.  I had a nice maiden voyage at 35? and raining plus in the dark.  So I didn't get much time to enjoy it yet.  I honestly tried not to tear up the yard too bad since the wife was watching, but oh well.  I'll try to get some pics posted soon now that it's running and I'm grinning from ear to ear.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 01:56:03 PM »
Welcome to the site. Glad you got the KX500 fired up. Dont worry about tearing up the yard, as the snow will hide everything.
  When the bike is sorted out they start very easy. Mine starts  second or third kick cold and starts first kick hot. But wear your motocross boots to start it always,no reason to have a sore foot.
  John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 04:50:27 PM »
Welcome and glad to hear that it does run. I was going to say try moving it further away from the Suzukis  :-D Just kidding. My first bike was an RM100 and the second an RM400. Welcome again.
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline kxdel

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 11:17:41 AM »
I always wear my motocross boots when I get near the beast or any other 2 stroke.  As for my Suzukis, they are all street bikes so the KX doesn't pay any attention to them.  My first bike was a QA50, but that was a long, long time ago.  This is actually my first Kawasaki but the wife has a Vulcan 800.  Thanks for the welcomes, and jfab, welcome and I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do.  Dan

Offline kxdel

Re: NE OHIO NEWB---FINALLY SOME PICS
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 11:14:30 AM »
Here are a few pics of my 5hundie.  This is what it looked like when I got it except for the pro taper bars and the barkbusters.  Not a bad buy for $900, right?