Author Topic: ZipTy tanks and pipes  (Read 2063 times)

ZipTy tanks and pipes
« on: February 14, 2009, 11:55:33 AM »
Hello,
 Been lurking here for a bit. I have been looking at picking up a KX5 for a time now and may go look at one soon. It has a pretty ratty looking Zipty tank(looks like 4 gal or so from the pic) and a Zipty exhaust. I don't mind the tank's appearance as I can dye it or just live with it, but is the pipe a quality unit? It is a 2002 model for $1500 obo so I can overlook minor things. I asked about the exhaust mounts and sure enough he said the middle one was a little funky. Or something like that, I really couldn't understand half of what he said he was such a hick. Said they kept giving him wrong clutch lever so thinking he may have an aftermarket swivel perch and doesn't know it. He's had it for 2 years but doesn't really know the history. He said it runs and shifts fine.Kinda worried about the tranny as it's a kwak, lol. Anything I should know when I go see it? I've had several bikes but don't know much about the KX5. I guess check out the upper chain guide on on the subframe, all exhaust tabs, any other things to look at so I can whittle him?
many thanks
john

Offline KXcam22

Re: ZipTy tanks and pipes
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 04:58:29 PM »
The zipty pipe is a good pipe and focuses mid to top end power.  However, only the zipty pipe fits with that tank so if the pipe is wrecked you would need to find a stock tank and shrouds (zipty uses 250 shrouds).   If you are going to look at the bike I would do the following check.  Lot of the misc parts, bars grips levers, tires etc are cheap so focus on the main componenets.  Hears what I look for:

The KX500 is a tough bike, no matter what anyone tells you. Not many trans issues I have heard of.

1. Do a real compression test. Take a tester with you and know what the numbers should be.
2. Take the exhaust pipe off (3 bolts and 2 springs) and look up the exhaust port with a flashlight.  Look for cylinder condition namely the absence of gouges and seizure marks.  Pull the air filter and look for dirt inside the carb boot.

3. Look at the underside of the cases for rock induced cracks. Also look at the frame rail paint. Lots of wear can mean that the bike has been riden hard.

4. Inspect hubs for cracks. Dont' worry about wheel bearings too much (cheap)

5. See how much play is in the suspention linkage and look for rust seepage.  A pivot works kit is not too expensive.

6. Rear shock can be rebuilt easily if it is leaking. Look for chips/pits in the shock shaft and on the fork legs.

There are lots of other things but these are the things I focus on when buying a used bike.  The worst is buy one from a non-bike person since they rarely do the servicing that you might take for granted, then you find some surprises.  Hoper this helps. Cam.