Author Topic: Favorite Tires for the KX500  (Read 18701 times)

Offline KXcam22

Favorite Tires for the KX500
« on: November 19, 2003, 03:56:21 PM »
I started this thread to find out what eveyone is using for tires:

I live in an intermediate terain type area.  My latest pair, dunlop 955F front and Kenda Unadilla (now Millville) 120/90-19 has transformed my KX unbelievably.  Fantastic cornering, great hookup and full power cornering wihout losing the back end.  Nice in sand.
I was debating trading the faithful KX for something a bit more nibler in corners (I know - slap me).  After wrenching on these tires before some back to back testing against some new CR250's and 450's I came away with with a new appreciation for the KX's turning ability. I was stoked being able to easily match the CR's in the tight and dust them on the straights!!   What a difference a pair of tires make....KX forever!!

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 04:14:03 PM »
For the Arizona desert, the Maxxis I/T has been working very well for me. :grin:

I tossed that 19 though, the 18 offers a much better selection of tires and a better "feel" and stability in the baby head rocks ;)

mikesmith

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 09:55:06 PM »
Dunlop 756 is what I like,but it wears to fast.I'm also running Maxxis IT's,but I'm trying IRC's nekt.

Rick

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 02:30:32 AM »
If I run a 120 rear tire, it's the Bridgestone M78 (I think the new number is a 606 or something) rear and Michelin M12 front.  If I run a 110 rear, I put on an M12 just like the front.  It really depends upon the terrain and style of racing to determine which tire to run.  I also like the IRC tires as noted in other posts, but they have to be ordered, so have not switched back to these?yet.

Rick

kawdude

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 02:15:25 PM »
This is starting out to be a great thread.  I have a question.  Can someone give so guidelines as to what soft, intermediate and hard terrains are.  I do understand the concepts of mud, sand and rock but what about the intermediates?

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2003, 05:40:43 PM »
Kawdude,
  Excellent question.  I tried to describe my own "intermediate" type dirt and was at a bit of a loss.  To me "hard" is blue groove type clay and rock surfaces where your tires friction grip the surface, no bite.  For "intermediate" I would call it loose dirt that you can shovel fairly easily.  It may pack and seem fairly hard but tires digs in OK. Builds decent berms.  For "Soft" I would call it wet, soft, loamy garden type dirt all the way to powdery beach sand.  I agree that "intermediate" is hard to classify but really is everything in between hard and soft. All I know is my intermediate tires are pretty good on hard, and just get better the softer it is.

mikesmith

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2003, 08:28:36 PM »
Dont just go by that rating system,756's are supposed to be soft terrain tires,but work great on rocks and hard terrain.Any one try or know anything about the Dunlop D742 front tire?

Hogwylde

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2003, 12:19:33 AM »
I'm running IRC's M5B in the 140x18 size.  BIG fat tire with 18mm tall nobs that just dig and dig and dig!!  Works great in this indiana dirt!

Offline demographic

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2003, 05:36:37 PM »
I am just getting used to my wide wheels but so far quite like my cheapo remoulds :shock:

Yep you did read it right I have Konkord remoulds on the bike.

Front is 120/70 by 17" and rear is 150/70 by 17"

A stack of the blokes from a supermoto board I "visit" really rated em and I got a hell of a deal on em, ?90 for two fronts and two rears and that price included the tenner for postage and packing :D

Seem sticky enough for me so far, and as opposed to sportsbike riders I use inner tubes so if they let go I shouldnt suffer like they could.

They are ZR rated (to 180 MPH no less) and have been used during racing on the IOM TT race so I don't think my 50 odd horsepower is gonna rip em to bit's

After these run out I have heard that Metzler rensports are sticky too

findme22001

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 02:23:43 PM »
I really like the dunlop 695 for the rear. I really haven't experimented with the front all that much. The 695 really is an all terrien tire. We ride tight mountain trails, sand dunes, hard pack hills, soft hills and occasionly rocky rocky areas. They do wear out rather quickly but will perform decent even when there ain't much tread left. Keep in mind I don't race MX so I can't comment on this tire in that situation. My KX is dual sported but most of the time I don't run it with the dual sport equipment.

91kx

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2003, 10:42:51 AM »
I just found a couple IRC M5B's collecting dust at the local yamaha dealer.Got 'em for $79Cdn.Man those knobs are tall.I've used them before and they work very well and last a long time.

teamgreen500

19" tires are cheap, too...
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2003, 11:20:45 AM »
I know everyone's of the opinion that 18's are the solution to a lot of things; However, I'm down to 2-sets of wheels and they've both got 19" rears. I'm finding that there are a lot of tires avail. and that I'm only in need of an 18" for Desert "Races" only.

I'll be building an 18" rear for that purpose only (Virtually mandated by the Team-Green folks). I'm not having any "Flat-tire" issues with my 19's and these new Kendas (120/100-19) actually put more knobby "to the ground" than my 18" race set-up. And they're cheap! $50 with tax and shipping to my door! That's kinda convenient when you're traveling as much as I do! I've ordered them while on travel! ULTRA-Convenient!

Just my .02!

Manny

p.s....Ty's about got me convinced that a 20" front is the best for the Desert races... :roll:

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Re: 19" tires are cheap, too...
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2003, 11:32:19 AM »
Ride faster :lol:

I'm just messing with ya about that one, I like the 18, that sidewall is used for rim protection ;)
Quote from: teamgreen500

I'm not having any "Flat-tire" issues with my 19's

Heck no, thats a motocrosser rim BUT... I wonder how it feels on the rocky AZ singletrack  :?
Quote from: teamgreen500

p.s....Ty's about got me convinced that a 20" front is the best for the Desert races... :roll:

Offline bigborefan

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2003, 06:15:41 AM »
Who's Ty....does he know about desert racing?
2006 KTM 300XC
1994 KX 500 x 2
1991 KX 500
1988 KX 250

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 10:53:15 AM »
I just wrenched on a Kenda Millville front.  Thrashed it hard and It came away shining. Check out the details in the review section. Cam.