Author Topic: 88 k5 kips adjustment (help)  (Read 1856 times)

Offline bykas

88 k5 kips adjustment (help)
« on: February 02, 2009, 02:07:04 PM »
I've read all the threads about kips adjustments, but they all seem to be about 89 and newer bikes. Does this apply to my bike also or is there a different approach. When my bike is not running the kips is all the way in, should it be out a little and can I adjust it by loosening the bolt on the governor arm/lever? Wondering if this is why my bike seems a little sluggish compared to my buddies 92.

Offline don46

Re: 88 k5 kips adjustment (help)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 02:12:40 PM »
I wouldn't try to adjust it with the arm, are you sure the valves are actually moving? the gears were aluminum and if they ever gummed up the teeth stripped. the other thing is the 89 and newer had the flapper valve in the center to give it a bit more bottom and the 92 had a heavier flywheel. The 88 has larger ports than the 89 up and it is a characteristic that doesn't lend itself to as much bottom end. are you running the same gearing, same size tire in other words are they the same other than year? my experience with the 88 was that they were a very strong runner.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline bykas

Re: 88 k5 kips adjustment (help)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 02:29:11 PM »
Actually I shouldnt have said its sluggish, runs great  1st through 3rd then hits a kind of flat spot in 4th and 5th, so mabe this is a carb issue not kips. Went riding today when I got back checked the plug its running rich. Im running 40:1.  Mabe it needs a needle valve adjustment.