Author Topic: It fits better than I thought....  (Read 4301 times)

Offline cutting torch

It fits better than I thought....
« on: March 03, 2009, 01:07:29 PM »
'87 KX500 in a '92 KX250 frame:

The swingarm pivot and bottom case mounts line up, and leave the exhaust port pretty well placed in the frame, although the top pipe springs might be a bit tight. I'll have to cut the forward case mounts off the frame and relocate them, but thats easy.

I do wonder though, as much as a bike engine is bolted to the frame, is the engine helping the frame, or is the frame helping the engine?
 :?

torch

Offline sintax

Re: It fits better than I thought....
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 08:03:25 AM »
yea, i felt the same thing when i first got my 500 engine in the 250 frame. Just kinda looked like it was supposed to be there. Looks good! Wrap her up. Hopefully it does not take you 3 months like it took me.

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:48:04 AM »
3 months? Surely you jest! I'm thinking more like a year or more.

My goal with this project is have the end result as close as I can reasonably get to a new bike in appearance and function. That means there will be a lot of resto work added to the load, and also some suspension revalving.

torch

Offline AJ

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 10:20:54 AM »
'87 KX500 in a '92 KX250 frame:

The swingarm pivot and bottom case mounts line up, and leave the exhaust port pretty well placed in the frame, although the top pipe springs might be a bit tight. I'll have to cut the forward case mounts off the frame and relocate them, but thats easy.

I do wonder though, as much as a bike engine is bolted to the frame, is the engine helping the frame, or is the frame helping the engine?
 :?

torch

the engine,  in this type of frame,
is certainly used as a intregal part and brace in the frame.

think of it,  as a 65 pound frame brace.
with the frame specifically designed for using it.