Author Topic: Getting my KX 500  (Read 10711 times)

Offline Larry Gude

Re: Getting my KX 500
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 06:53:46 AM »
Friar,

Thanks! I know y'all have probably covered this plenty of times before. You're saving me hours of searching old posts, I'm sure.

Now, is it to be expected to find a bike that is just in really good shape or or is there a priority as to what really needs to be in good shape or walk away?

What's fair, from top dollar, ready to ride, on down to a good deal even if a fair bit of work needs to be done?

It sounds like a sleeved cylinder should pretty much be a deal killer at any price?

I appreciate the patience!

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 01:28:24 AM »
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline DoldGuy

Offline GDubb

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 07:00:33 AM »
The last link has a great description.  :lol: :evil:

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline Larry Gude

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 07:23:36 AM »
The last link has a great description.  :lol: :evil:

-G

OK, now for the down side; I keep reading the most terrifying descriptions about KX500's; widow-maker, terrifyingly fast, brutal, 450 killer, etc, etc. With my limited experience, if this is so, how come top racers don't ride 'em and are they that 'brutal and terrifying and dangerous' etc, etc, etc compared to 450's?

I mean, my few days on one I can see how powerful and fast they are and I was nervous the first few hours, but, not once did I feel it was gonna just up and kill me our of the blue!

:lol:

So, KX lovers, what are the objective downsides, if you can be objective, what's the negatives?

Offline JohnJr

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 09:15:07 AM »
Hey Larry,myself I would not want a bike with a sleeve in it because that will mean to me he just wanted to cheap shot it, go with a bike that the cylinder has been renikld and it would be better on the heat and Performance my friend.My top end went out right after I bought it the cylinder cost me under $250. I ask 5 different people and they told me about the sleeves and it is not a good thing.Look a the Subframe make sure the chain hasnt worn thru it and near the top of the frame near the seat.If he said he did the top-end you got to take his word for it unless he has proof.Is the bike clean? Was it kept outside? Did he do maintanace on it? Like I said I bought mine an 01 KX500 for $1800,top-end went, but I know it has a fresh rebuild like I want it, hope I helped you out,Peace, let me know what you done.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 09:21:01 AM »
    "how come top racers don't ride 'em"
Kawasaki quite making them!   I think it's all about $$$$.
  The big guns tell the team what to ride,  EPA coming down on manufacturers. Class rules in MX & SM.
 I believe the 2 Smokes can run clean, but R&D costs money.  Re-tooling, cost effective,yadda-yadda...

Downside?  Parts availability, primarily. A gallon of pre-mix, (which is almost redundant compared to a top end service)
    You could say they / We are bit of a Cult following, But whats wrong with that?
( It's all about the fun factor for me anyways)   And a bit of Going against the grain...

As far as being comfortable on an open class bike has a bit to do with maturity (I think).
 You can get in trouble in a hurry.
  However I think you'll find these old girls are quite forgiving and with a minimum of work are at home in just about any environment you throw at them.  Ice racing to Dune riding, Single Track to SM to Motocross & Hillclimbing,Sand Drags and Good Old PlayRiding.  Sorry Mark, Land Speed racing takes a bit more than a sprocket & Exhaust Swap...
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline GDubb

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 04:35:27 PM »
Let me scare you.... these things are insanely fast. But now realistically, are you going to crank the throttle and hold it pinned wide open?  No. Not very often at least. The great thing about this motor is that you can get in some tight woods, pop it down in second gear, and tractor around in the low rpms. Yes, the same exact bike that will stretch your arms out and give you whiplash when cranked wide open is also very manageable in the tight stuff in low rpms. Throttle control is key, but this bike is very rideable in many different conditions and at any speed. Insanely fast, but very rideable. Readers Digest version right there.

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 07:03:45 AM »
Let me scare you.... these things are insanely fast. But now realistically, are you going to crank the throttle and hold it pinned wide open?  No. Not very often at least. The great thing about this motor is that you can get in some tight woods, pop it down in second gear, and tractor around in the low rpms. Yes, the same exact bike that will stretch your arms out and give you whiplash when cranked wide open is also very manageable in the tight stuff in low rpms. Throttle control is key, but this bike is very rideable in many different conditions and at any speed. Insanely fast, but very rideable. Readers Digest version right there.

-G

Amen! I took mine out for the first time this weekend, did some tight technical stuff and it was a pure delight to ride. Then in open terrain it flys!

I am in love, and bleeding green!
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 07:43:45 AM »
are you going to crank the throttle and hold it pinned wide open?
Yup. :evil: :-D 8-)

Offline Larry Gude

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 04:33:25 AM »

-G

That's what I found on my two days on the thing; throttle control. I just want to ask these questions, given my inexperience, what I might not understand or may be missing about this. I love the things!

One thing I did notice; I wear glasses and there was a good bit of vibration so that it actually blurred my vision at higher speeds, just a bit. Anyone wear contacts? Does that solve the issue?

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 07:57:25 AM »
hey larry ,

i use glases too ,but i don,t have issues like you.
lenses can work out real bad ,if dust comes behind it..man ..while @ WOT you just don,t want that
try  sport utility glases,or buy one of these special mx goggles for replacing the one,s on your nose right now.
dunno the link but maybe someone will,or check google for it .

succes :-)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:59:22 AM by KX500freak »
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline Larry Gude

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 09:26:26 AM »
hey larry ,

i use glases too ,but i don,t have issues like you.
lenses can work out real bad ,if dust comes behind it..man ..while @ WOT you just don,t want that
try  sport utility glases,or buy one of these special mx goggles for replacing the one,s on your nose right now.
dunno the link but maybe someone will,or check google for it .

succes :-)

I wear MX goggs over the glasses.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 11:00:54 AM »
I wear goggles over my glasses and ride at wide open throttle a lot, at least when I have a wide trail. I dont really notice any distorted vision, but maybe I am just used to it. Throttle control is the secret to long life, nothing wrong with full throttle at the right place and right time. I just love the huge power of my 500 at wide open throttle, I love passing 450 four strokers that are topped out. I may not be the greatest rider in my group but I do have the most power and like to show that off.
John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 11:21:21 AM »