Author Topic: New member of the K5 family!  (Read 1973 times)

shiggins37

New member of the K5 family!
« on: January 26, 2009, 01:22:01 PM »
Hey guys, I just recently acquired a 92 K5 through a trade for a 93 RM250..... oh yes I did say trade. I got it from a guy that was a new rider and said it had way too much power for him (If that's even possible). Anyways, it is an AWESOME condition and looks to have little use for it's age. I've only had it out for a few hours so far. All I have to say is WOW!!!! This thing pulls like a freight train. I love it! I do have a few questions.
1) I'm looking to "modernize" it's look a little (sorry all you purists). I have already ordered a 2005 kx250 fender as I have read in here that it fits well with a little number plate mod. I'm also going to be doing the 93 250 rear fender mod. Is there anything else you guys have found that works as far as updating it's look?

2) Is there anything that I can do about the massive muffler without quenching any of it's power? I've heard of guys cutting the stock muffler down, but what does that do as far as affecting back pressure and so forth?

3) There is a very flat spot in the low-midrange. It's jetted accordingly for the altitude I ride at with the FMF gnarly I have bolted up, so I don't think it's a jetting problem. I checked the power valve on it and was able to pull it out with minimal force and it felt smooth, and it also opened freely when the engine was revved. Any ideas? I also checked the airfilter which is brand new and oiled appropriately and cleaned out the carb (no obvious obstructions)

4) The suspension is terribly soft (I've heard that is a problem with the K5 being undersprung) I'm 6' 190lbs. I'm looking at haveing Precision Concepts in Riverside, Ca redoing the forks and shock. Has anybody used them? If so, then did it make a large difference? Also curious at a ballpark cost to have them do it.

Thanks in advance for any info you guys can provide. I'm excited to get more accustomed to this bike and to be able to use it to it's full potential. I'm taking it to Glamis this weekend to give it a go and see what she's made of. Thanks again!

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm looking forward to

Offline k5abuser

Re: New member of the K5 family!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 01:49:59 PM »
welcome to the WORLD OF FASSSSSSST  . after 10 post you can see the stewart mods that make the k5 bullet proof and then it will pull like a frieght train on nitrous . easyer to ride fast . the stock works ok but setting one up for your body wieght is the way to go if you have the money . i am 290 lbs and over 6'2" i can make it work for me on the trails and flats
race gas is fast but Q16 hauls azz.i still ride because i am not ready to have been that fast. i ride a kx500 because they don't make a kx600!ck k5abuser on youtube

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 04:36:50 PM »
 Pleased to have you on board.
   There is lots of info to peruse here, and the guys always seem willing to help.
I'm wondering if there isn't some other guys down your way wanting to ride glamis as a group?
  That flat spot has me wondering, That Gnarly was a low-midrange pipe. (I thought) anyway, maybe post in the 500 forum for some more Ideas. 
You might look this over,
     http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/printcarbtuning.html   (it's for a kdx200 but same principal)
 glancing through this I would suspect the needle.  does that flat spot feel like needing fuel or blubber-y
     Needing fuel = lower clip (raises needle off main jet)
     Blubber-ry    = Raise clip  (drops needle in main restricting flow)   
  Tuck\o/
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 04:58:09 PM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

shiggins37

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 02:28:38 AM »
Thanks for the help so far! I'll be looking at adjusting the needle today and see if that does anything. It seems to be more of a blubbery hesitation rather than a lack of fuel issue. I'll keep you posted.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 03:49:25 AM »
Have a look in my gallery at my 92.  With the fender change, changing the seat cover color does the most along with a new shiny pipe and some graphics.  Its also easy to build custom graphics.  I built upper fork guards out of PVC pipe to change the blue to black (and protect).  Hope this helps. Cam.

shiggins37

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 04:49:35 AM »
I know this is probably a silly question, but how do I look into somebody's personal gallery?

shiggins37

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 04:56:35 AM »
Nevermind, I figured it out. :-P
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 04:59:57 AM by shiggins37 »

shiggins37

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 05:17:56 PM »
I just got the front fender. It's for an 03-08 kx 250. It looks A TON better than the stock fender. I used a number plate from an 03 RM 250 that I had lying around. It took a little work getting it to fit, but it looks a lot more contemporary. I will post some pics when I can.