Author Topic: MOT testers little quirks  (Read 2871 times)

Offline demographic

MOT testers little quirks
« on: November 16, 2003, 05:03:38 AM »
Took my KX down to the local MOT test ( for you Merkins, you need to have a valid MOT certificate to be able to ride your bike on the road over here) station yesterday.

Was the test bloke bothered by the LOUD pipe?

No problem :D

Was he bothered by the fact that my 320 mil Braking wavy disc says Not for highway use (or words to that effect) on it?

Was he bothered by the fact that my digital pushbike speedo had moved and was not taking a reading from the sensor so didn't work?

Was he bothered by the fact that even though I have a chain guard on the swingarm its nowt like long enough according to road regs?

No problem?

Emmisions?

Don't even test bike emmisions over here yet :D

The lights, horn and indicators work perfectly so theres no problems there.

suspension works just fine so thats OK too

So why did he fail it?

Cos I had shaved a tiny bit of rubber off the left side of the rear tyre so it would clear the chain :roll:

I asked him if he would pass it with an uncut tyre and he said yes and I got a fresh tyre from my cheap tyre cupbord and ten minutes later was back down at the test station.

He knows that it will foul the chain slightly but will fit it and pass it anyway.

No prizes for working out what I will be doing with a exceedingly sharp knife on monday night when I have the bike back :wink:

mikesmith

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 08:45:03 AM »
You know the USA is a great country,but to even dream of it being that easy(let alone possible)in California to legally ride my KX500 on the street is just that -a dream.There's even areas and season's you can't ride a newer bike legally off-road.So enjoy it,your lucky.

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 10:18:28 AM »
Saying that though, it is not street legal. It has passed the MOT. The police might have another opinion when they here the bike and find out there is no speedo...

There is a different set of requirements for MOT and road legal stuff.

/John

Offline demographic

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2003, 10:50:56 AM »
Quote from: John
Saying that though, it is not street legal. It has passed the MOT. The police might have another opinion when they here the bike and find out there is no speedo...

There is a different set of requirements for MOT and road legal stuff.

/John

Nah it has a speedo, it's just that with the motard wheels on it the magnet for the sensor is in a slightly different place than with the MX wheels I took off.

I will sort that out this week when I have more time :)

Oh and to Mikesmith?

Don't worry mate, I do enjoy it and am glad I can ride it on the street :D

teamgreen500

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2003, 08:55:00 PM »
Hey Mike,

The bike that I raced in '98 is a local "Dual-Sporter". It got lit and registered in '01.

Manny

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2003, 07:16:17 AM »
Just thought I add; I have done KX500 wheelies on London Bridge. The same bridge as in the song about a fire...