Author Topic: 96' Fork seals ?  (Read 1773 times)

Offline newp500

96' Fork seals ?
« on: January 26, 2009, 03:44:03 AM »
I'm having trouble with Moose forks seals leaking. I've got them to stop for a day or so with cleaning them but it gets to be a pain in the a$$. Does everybody use OEM seals or is there another seal people use. Remember the weather has been -5 to 10 above for the last few weeks here. I'm not having problems with my other bikes. Thanks

Offline KXcam22

Re: 96' Fork seals ?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 04:37:39 AM »
I have found it best to use the OEM seals for forks.  My 92 fork seals lasted for 14 years if you can beleive it.  I  ride with KTM's who's seals always leak a bit when dirty.  Seal savers are also an option to keep the fine grit out.  Not sure if this will help but there is a little known trick to tightening seals.  The inner spring around the circumference of the seal controls seal tension and can be shortened.  Take the spring out of the seal, find the joint in the spring and twist CCW(like undoing a bolt and nut) to undo it. One end of the spring is tapered and it threads into the other end.  Cut the non-tapered end 2mm at a time and then twist each end CW to preload and the put them together so that they thread back together.  My dad (master aeronautical mechanic) taught me this.  Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline newp500

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 07:04:29 AM »
I'll pick up a set of OEM's tonight to hopefully end this nightmare. Thanks for the tip on the seals... , I'll give it a try.

-Rob

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 09:12:25 AM »
I have found it best to use the OEM seals for forks.  My 92 fork seals lasted for 14 years if you can beleive it.  I  ride with KTM's who's seals always leak a bit when dirty.  Seal savers are also an option to keep the fine grit out.  Not sure if this will help but there is a little known trick to tightening seals.  The inner spring around the circumference of the seal controls seal tension and can be shortened.  Take the spring out of the seal, find the joint in the spring and twist CCW(like undoing a bolt and nut) to undo it. One end of the spring is tapered and it threads into the other end.  Cut the non-tapered end 2mm at a time and then twist each end CW to preload and the put them together so that they thread back together.  My dad (master aeronautical mechanic) taught me this.  Hope this helps. Cam.

Thats a good one to remember. I have been told about tightening that spring trick  by the guy who fixes my seals, and I always forget, till they are seeping. Another one I learned, is when one bike starts having a leaking seal issue, where it leaks right after you fixed it, it can be the bushings. Like I said, I have a guy, who said, "there's alignment bushings." "Brass," I think he said. Well anyway, he replaced those, and no leaks since.