Author Topic: Broken middle exhaust mount bracket!  (Read 8135 times)

Offline Uzi9mm

Re: Broken middle exhaust mount bracket!
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 12:09:02 PM »
Next time anyone finds a small tear in a rubber mount, try some super glue.  Make sure the damper is clean etc..  glue it and hold it together snug.  Just make sure the damper is not under too much strain after its re-mounted.  So far, ive super glued 2 dampers and they are holding.  Since then, I've made some adjustments to make sure the pipe isnt in a bind.
Fear the government that fears your gun.

Offline slow600

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 10:25:52 AM »
just an fyi. went to local hardley dealer today just to see if they knew what damper i was talking about. he smiled and brought back approx 6 different ones to choose from, apparantly all harleys use them somewhere on the bike. i left with 3 for less than $12.

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 03:50:42 PM »
If it doesn't fit should I force it?
I started to mount a used FMF Gnarly today. Pipe is tweaked  away from the frame about 1"-1/1/2" from the mounts up top,,, cylinder end is good. I've had past experience with forcing the pipe to fit and breaking rubber mounts, brackets, and cracking the pipe,,, cause the pipe wasn't right ,,, I want to get this right. I'm thinking of removing the gas tank and seeing if I can squeeze it to the left by wrapping a ratchet load strap around the bike frame and pipe and cinch till it is in line.

Any suggestions from this knowledgeable crew will be appreciated.
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 06:54:17 PM »
Didn't see your reply until now.  Haven't been on in a while.  I wouldn't use your bike as a jig to bend your pipe.  If you or a buddy have a TIG setup.  You could mount the pipe and cut off the offending bracket or brackets.  Then make some new brackets and tac weld them.  Then pull off the pipe and finish the weld.  You can polish and paint or use some high temp clear coat.   

Offline ID KX500

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 03:11:21 AM »
Didn't see your reply until now.  Haven't been on in a while.  I wouldn't use your bike as a jig to bend your pipe.  If you or a buddy have a TIG setup.  You could mount the pipe and cut off the offending bracket or brackets.  Then make some new brackets and tac weld them.  Then pull off the pipe and finish the weld.  You can polish and paint or use some high temp clear coat.  
Thanks Uzi,,, I do have to do a little bending to get it straight. I suspect the previous owner of this pipe went down on it while it was hot,,, it's bent where it goes into the jug. I've got to bend the head of the pipe over to the right. If I have to heat to bend,,, where can I find high temp clear coat?
Also is a .357 enough for the Canadian Grey Wolf.
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 05:42:34 PM »
No prob ID.  I haven't tried this stuff yet but here is the link...

http://www.caswellplating.com/vht/vhtclear.htm

I think a .357 mag would work nicely on any dog.  Although, I prefer a sledgehammer like the FN SCAR in a .308  Available in semi-auto to the public this year!

Offline ID KX500

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 01:42:08 AM »
Thanks for the info on clear coat,,, I need to get it on my other toys too. I researched the FN SCAR,,, also a good suggestion. US Fish & Game insisted we needed the ecological balancing wonders of the wolf,,, and to make hunting them easier they brought in the biggest they could find. These fun pets have a discriminating taste for (tender vitals) small lambs, calves, fawns, preferably still in moms womb,,, and no they don't eat mom after killing her. They are breeding like rabbits,,, supposed to be 100 but now we have at least 800 not to mention the 700 in nearby states. One walked in front of me on the hiway a couple of weeks ago,,, no fear of humans. Oh well good thing the government is here to help us.
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 06:19:05 PM »
LOL, the govt...  another group of people trying to take your money who could care less about you.

You think its a matter of time before wolves attack a human?

I always liked the story about the conservationist guy who protected Grizzlys until one ate him.  If I was concerned about being attacked by an animal or group of animals that could eat me, I would bring a rifle.

Let me know the details of the pipe repair and how it works out.

Offline ID KX500

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 06:26:52 AM »
I'm just worried about the little kids that live out on these ranches. A guy recently went out to save the family dog from a pack,,, he said the wolves didn't go after him but they stood there like he was no threat he clubbed them away from his dog,,, it lived. Coyotes in my experience are quite fearful of humans but they have been shot at for years,,, it will be interesting to see if hunting wolves changes their attitude toward the human.  Hunting should begin this fall.
I'll report on what I do with that pipe.
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline Billua

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 05:00:11 AM »
Mine has broken too!
2001 KX-500
Riding the Deserts of Nevada and Cali.