Author Topic: Hi from Sunny SoCal  (Read 3289 times)

Offline dmg

Hi from Sunny SoCal
« on: January 18, 2009, 04:12:25 PM »
Hi All.

I thought I would go ahead and introduce myself very briefly.

I am 27, married, two kids, and one more on the way. I am a Electrical Engineer at a major defense contractor, and 3/4 of the way through my masters degree. End of boring stuff...

I started riding when I was about 10. It was on a 1960's 125 enduro. The bike was slow and heavy, but it was wheels. When I turned 13 or 14 I bought a 89 KX250. That bike was great. Always ran great, and never left me stranded anywhere. Sold that bike when I got married 6 years later, and started riding my dads KX500. I have been riding it ever since.

The bike has low hours, and is pretty much bone stock. I think it is the original top end, and until yesterday, had the original front tire. I like working on small projects in my spare time(which isn't much), so I plan to tear the bike apart this summer. It always runs good, but I think it is time for a little more TLC. I would also love to learn more about how to tune and adjust these bikes.

I look forward to corresponding with all of you as I get started. Sorry if this was to much info.

Darin (dmg)

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

Re: Hi from Sunny SoCal
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 04:29:35 PM »
Howdy and welcome. Thats all you get. Brain went numb, thought wont come!  :-D
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 07:41:50 PM »
Yeah, Like Jerry said.!
  Glad to have you along for the ride.  Lots of stuff here to check out.
Sounds like your pretty busy with school,work and family...
  Nothing like firing up the 500 and whooping it up.
Great therapy I've Found...
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline barryadam

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 02:39:37 PM »
Welcome dmg.  What kind of riding do you do (fire roads, trails, mx tracks, sand, etc.) and what areas here in California?  Youv'e probably seen a lot of changes if your 125 days were also here.
Good coverage for all of California riding areas in the regions section of TT as well.
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline dmg

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 04:35:11 PM »
I grew up in Redlands, and I now live in Yucaipa. There have been so many changes around here since my 125 start. Almost all of the areas I rode at as a kid are now either filled with houses, or the cops patrol it so much it isn't worth riding. I was told that the #1 complaint to the Riverside, ca police is related to dirtbikes and OHVs. There are a large number of pro riders that live in the area, so there is a lot of activity.

I ride some simple trails in the hills of Yucaipa, go out to Lucern Valley(Johnson OHV) a couple times a year in the cool months, and I try to make it to Glamis a couple times a year. I don't ride as much as I used to, because of the limited areas around me.

Where are these trail reviews mentioned above? TT?

Thanks for the Welcomes.

Offline GDubb

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 07:08:03 PM »
TT = Thumpertalk.com. It is another dirtbike forum/online store. The regional section is the most useful part of it in my opinion, unless you enjoy wasting time arguing or getting flamed by idiots. Its not all bad, and they arent all idiots, but chances are you'll deal with enough idiots to give you a new appreciation for KXRiders.  :-D

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline barryadam

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 01:18:35 AM »
ADVrider has a helpful GPS section.  And if you want to see the extremes of human psychology, there's alway Toxic JM.
TT's regional section (Calif) is where you'll find guys who ride and are most helpful wrt riding areas.  There's lots of details about the current activities to keep JV open.

Have you riden in those big hills behind Redlands much?  We've done a fair bit of riding in the SBNF and Big Bear area.  For us (south orange county) it's the closest and most diversified riding.  Here's some of our rides in your backyard.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 03:07:52 AM by barryadam »
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 11:19:48 PM »
Welcome to the site Darin, enjoy your dad's 500. This site will supply great tips for doing your top end when that time comes. The jetting section will point you in the right direction. 
 Barryadam , thanks for those photos, Michigan has great trails, but they dont quite have that grand of a view.You have an awesome back yard.
  John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.