Author Topic: tell me  (Read 2502 times)

Offline RoostiusMaximus

• Millar Racing Engines
tell me
« on: January 15, 2009, 10:32:10 AM »
I have no KX engines, I have 3 steel frame Honda 500's, am building an 03 cr250 with a cr500 engine, and have 3 unassembled engines aswell.

I want to get into the KX world, need a few inital questions answered:
Is there major differences in the engines thru the years?
Are there parts all interchangeable?
I've seen warnings about cracked cylinders, are some worse than others?
Did trans ratio's change in different years?
Is there anything to stay away from, ex: magnesium cases?

Offline DoldGuy

Re: tell me
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 10:46:57 AM »
Roostius,

I have quite a few Different year KXs and alot of the parts are interchageable. Which setup are you looking for (125,250,500)? I am sure you will find your answers here on this forum, as there is alot of knowledge with the members here. Just let us know what your trying to do.

Oh yea,

WELCOME!
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »
 Roost,
 I think you'll find there are several guys who either have or had CR's also.
Just like any other bike anything over 10yrs old parts get harder to find and or more expensive.

I believe '99 -04 was same bike different graphics.  (I don't know about earlier bikes I have a '2000)
 Just like the Honda's; cross reference parts from 250's & 500's on microfische for part# match.

I don't recall any more cyl probs than any other bike.
  No Mag cases like the old Honda that I'm aware of.   
(and I think if a guy had those '80s honda waterpump cases coated they would last alot longer)

I had just Rebuilt my '85 cr500 and got it running pretty darn good, My best friend rides a '99 Kx500.
  We probably drag raced 10 times in a row and whoever got "The Holeshot" stayed in front.
   However we were on each other, wheel to wheel.  Traded bikes and same scenario. I think if we had a longer straight he would have eventually pulled away as I had 30lbs. on him. 
   My Honda Hits harder, but my Kawasaki has alot better set up than the old Honda does.
     I love both bikes, I would look for the latest model you can afford.
 Lots to peruse here.
  Tuck\o/ 
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline RoostiusMaximus

• Millar Racing Engines
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 01:37:47 AM »
thanks guys, I'm deffinately looking to build a KX500 in a new frame only becasue I havent got one yet, i'll start looking for an engine asap.
Usually if i get into someting like this is consumes all my time. I've done alot of r+d on the honda stuff, made some charts to simplify things, might have to get that happening here too.

http://cid-76dd2330685afe13.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Honda%20CR500R%20Tech%20and%20Reference/Tech%20Edits%20as%20of%20july%209th

Offline demographic

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:31:42 AM »
thanks guys, I'm deffinately looking to build a KX500 in a new frame only becasue I havent got one yet, i'll start looking for an engine asap.
Usually if i get into someting like this is consumes all my time. I've done alot of r+d on the honda stuff, made some charts to simplify things, might have to get that happening here too.

http://cid-76dd2330685afe13.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Honda%20CR500R%20Tech%20and%20Reference/Tech%20Edits%20as%20of%20july%209th

Start putting usefull information like that up for us Kawasaki owners and you'll go a long way.
Good man.

Offline Charlie500

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 10:24:14 AM »
I have no KX engines, I have 3 steel frame Honda 500's, am building an 03 cr250 with a cr500 engine, and have 3 unassembled engines aswell.

I want to get into the KX world, need a few inital questions answered:
Is there major differences in the engines thru the years?
Are there parts all interchangeable?
I've seen warnings about cracked cylinders, are some worse than others?
Did trans ratio's change in different years?
Is there anything to stay away from, ex: magnesium cases?

Hey also check out the KX 500AF section on this page, its really sweet. Also have you checked out www.servicehonda.com? They are making a KX 500AF now. That bike is almost worth selling my truck for... :|
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster