Author Topic: Not happy with my '03 500 power curve...  (Read 8920 times)

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Not happy with my '03 500 power curve...
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2003, 10:52:44 AM »
Hey HULKSTER, with the FMF Fatty, stock silencer, VForce Delta II, and proper jetting running 50:1 Maxima Super M in a 50/50 blend of Sunoco Purple and Pump 91 my '01 is capable of 111mph with 15/42 gearing, so do be careful :wink:

teamgreen500

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2003, 12:34:27 PM »
He's in the "Real Northeast" where they've got realllly thight clutch killing trails. :shock:

I've ridden this stuff and I was killing my clutch plates w/ 14-47. :oops:

My friends in N.C. run this gearing with good results. I know it sounds funny.

I think we are spoiled out here! :lol:

Manny

HULKSTER

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2003, 02:31:43 PM »
I don't use 1st much as it is....

Offline GreenMachine

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2003, 04:01:12 PM »
Haha, thats funny Rick. You just brought up a funny memory of mine. I run 15/47 gears on my 500. I was riding at motocross tracks alot and was tired of getting spanked out of the corners, so I changes to 14/51 gears. took a bit to get used to. Then a group of my friends went out riding and a buddy of mine wanted to ride my bike. I told him I had changed my gears and to be careful. I don't think he heard me cause he stood vertical for about 50 yards and came directly back to the truck and parked it.  :lol:
Even the mightiest of oaks was once just a crazy nut that stood its ground.

HULKSTER

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2003, 01:32:04 AM »
I am in the most northern eastern part of NY. Right next to Canada...

Well...I got my gearing on...it's ok...got my exhaust too...will test at Camp No Mercy on Saturday. Couldn't run Doug's track yesterday becauase the stupid UPS truck didn't get to my house til 5:30!

I did however get about a 40 minute ride in. When I bought that pipe I was told it was a BOTTOM-MID pipe. I even verified this with some guy at Pro Circuit. Well...all it did was SMOOTHEN out the whole powercurve.  :evil:  Didn't give me any more bottom! I'm pretty mad about it. I went to Pro Circuit's site today and I see that the description for thier "Off Road" pipe was DIFFERENT from what I was told.

It says: "Off-Road - KX500 pipe broadens the power from bottom to top end. Dual stamp design helps eliminate rock damage. This is the same pipe TEAM GREEN endorses and used to win the many off-road championships."

This really pisses me off....as I wanted a bottom-mid pipe. I liked it better STOCK!

I am going to look into a FMF Gnarly setup....and send this Pro-Circuit BACK!

EDIT (Take 2): Just went to the shop...talked about it...can send it back....This one will do for now....here is a couple pics of my TEMPORARY setup.

mikesmith

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2003, 07:53:25 AM »
Hulkster I have the same PC pipe and yes it just smoothes out the power,stock pipe hits harder but for long rides the PC pipe will tire you out less if that makes you feel better.I crashed once and even with a pipe guard I got a fist size dent below the little tag that has the pipe # stamped on it,I was going to fix the dent but it seems to make it hit harder so I left it there.

HULKSTER

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2003, 04:29:06 AM »
Personally....I think the KX has a dead bottom end....that's where I want it most for the riding I do...

Yeah....it did smoothen out the mid hit....but didn't seem to help out on the bottom much....feels like a 4 stroke now....grrrrrrrrrr

UPDATE! I just sent that PC back! I ordered my FMF Gnarly! I want my bottom end d**n it! That with the reed spacer....oh yeah.... :twisted:

Benson

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2003, 05:50:26 AM »
I had to add a Flywheel weight to get the Bottom end I wanted.  I also geared down beyond belief,  but I was riding all the extreme Rocky Rooted deep woods New England terrain.  I'm running 14/52 ratio.

The Flywheel weights also increase rear tire life,  and seem to increase the amount of available traction.

It really gives me an advantage in the technical stuff,  and on most trails its nice to be in the taller gears that are farther apart.  Less shifting.

It does suck when other Lesser bikes blow my doors off on the powerlines at top speed though.  I don't give a Rat's ass about Powerlines anyways,  I like the stuff thats so rough other people complain about it.

I added the thicker headgasket too,  originaly to save my kickstarter levers that I snap off like twigs,  but I like the effect on performance it had too.  More over rev,  and easier to control the power.

I guess I need the Reed spacer now.  LOL
 :roll:
Benson

K5RACER

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2003, 05:01:02 PM »
Hey Hulk, Ive got the exact same issue with my power curve on my bike it just wont lift in the lower rpms, only when up top in the rpm does it lift and thats not when i like it to. i also have tryed just about everything besides a fly weight and im reluctant to do so because i dont want to slow it down any. ive also tryed the reed spacer and im thinking about pulling it off now other than starting better i dont think it helped my power issues at all, first without re jetting it i found little more bottom end (Not what i was looking for) and a major shortage up top, after re-jetting i got most my top back to the point that its not to noticable a loss but it the process of re-jetting im back to square one no bottom again only better starts and little loss up top.
However i have found my best results so far in rear suspension seems the better i get it to hook the more happy i become with the power BUT everything effects traction on a daily basis and its not consistant.
Let me know what you find.

Just my .02

Benson

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2003, 05:26:55 PM »
If your trying to get bottom end power,  and you don't go with the flywheel weight FIRST your waisting your time and dreaming.

A Heavier Flywheel is the main thing that sets the motor in an Enduro apart from a Moto-X bike.  It's not Rocket science.

I would sell my bike before I EVER rode it again without a Flywheel weight.  The difference is that Profound.  Just the extra traction alone is worth it to me.

But I ride in New England,  where you really need bottom end power,  and smooth delivery.  I also like the roughest most brutal terrain possible,  and I HATE Sand pits with a passion.

Just be smart and get the flywheel weight.  It comes off pretty easy if you can't handle the tractor like power.

HULKSTER

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2003, 03:20:55 AM »
FMF Gnarly Pipe is supposedly super for bottom end pipe....that's all I found out before the cops picked up my bike....

Offline KXcam22

Check your timing
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2003, 04:59:15 PM »
Hey,
  If the bike is new try checking the timing.  The wrong advance can focus the power higher. Possibly the power valve may not have full range of motion or be adjusted wrong.  Just some ideas.