Author Topic: Porting  (Read 3382 times)

mikesmith

Porting
« on: November 07, 2003, 07:39:48 AM »
I cleaned up my cylinder of casting flaws and noticed a slight power increase.But has any one had there bike ported?Destry replied to a question I asked that he likes his engine smooth with out a hit and doesn't run a flywheel weight.He said his bike makes more power than stock,but is veary smooth,any one have there bike ported like this?

Rick

Porting
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 09:14:25 AM »
Nope.  Experimented with having porting work done on a KX250, and because of the spotty nature of the outcome, decided to just buy the biggest 2-stroke I could, and be done with it.

Thanks

Rick

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
Porting
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 03:08:14 AM »
I now you can port a motor to just anything, but the secret is how to port a cylinder and gain hp and don`t lost lowrange or midrange.
You can`t get lowrange with a flywheelwight only, you must have a big bore or low porttimes to work with.You don`t put a flywheelweight to a 50cc moped and think it will be a monstertorque bike!
There is KIPS for have the cake and eat it too.8=)
Low portimes and high compression at low rev and high portimes and less compression at high rev.
Then is the pipe to adjust the powerband to suit your riding ability.(US-pipes for a no ported cylinder and euro-pipes for more tophp and ported cylinders).
But overall power do you get with better reeds/cage!(Boysen/Dukakis/Vforce).
Take away any flaws and cut/refine the gaskets who is in the way for the gasmix when it entered the cylinder.Use common sense when you looking inside the cylinder and you can gain a lot of hp and smothness.
Hope this ideas will help you!
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

supermotokx

Porting
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 07:05:55 PM »
One other option is to stroke the engine. That will give you lots of torque and more power as well. Problem is that it costs an arm.

Martin

teamgreen500

Porting
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 07:44:39 AM »
Mike,

Ride mine at the Dam. It's ridiculously linear, clean and torquey; YET!, it rev's like a 250. Braasch built it with P.C. porting, alligned crank, and his usual assembly practices. I also believe the heads been machine/re-domed. We'll open it up and check!

Manny

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
Porting
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 05:38:10 AM »
teamgreen500!
I`m so curios about the headmod you talk about P:C have done on your bike.Have you take it apart?
(I have re-domed mine and it`s work very well compered to stock).
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!