Author Topic: clutch lever ratio  (Read 16472 times)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
clutch lever ratio
« on: January 04, 2009, 02:26:38 PM »
My 86 has a clutch that requires a two finger pull, which is all well and good at standstill but when you want to clutch her up at speed, your grip on the bars is compromised.
                  Not a good thing when shes coming on strong....
I,m gonna lengthen the clutch arm by 7mm, but does anyone know of another model/brand which has a higher ratio lever?
                  I'm listening.....
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

Re: clutch lever ratio
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 02:50:16 PM »
Only 2 fingers....I'm impressed. Someone out there made a little gizmo that went between the short cable and the long one. It allowed you to change ratios easly. I don't know if it is still out there or not. I had one on my 86 500....back in 87.
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline kawsf

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 03:01:42 PM »
This my setup, work's very nice.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 03:40:53 PM »
I like....
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 04:04:23 AM »
 Is this what you're refering to?   Easy Pull
http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1756&level2=1782&level3=1784&level4=1800&product_group_id=7267

I understand the honda CR's have a different lever ratio. I have a Honda CR aof clutch on my KX5.
  I have noticed several other guys use their middle finger to work the clutch and that would appear to give you a better "Hang on" for yer life grip on the bars.
Unfortunately it doesn't feel right to me. I have started my daughter riding with "The Bad Finger" on her 50, and mountain bike  brake so she doesn't know any different. 
  Tuck\o/

"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 05:55:32 AM »
Kawsf, is that a Magura hydralic clutch ?  John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 09:56:02 AM »
Is this what you're refering to?   Easy Pull
http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1756&level2=1782&level3=1784&level4=1800&product_group_id=7267

I understand the honda CR's have a different lever ratio. I have a Honda CR aof clutch on my KX5.
  I have noticed several other guys use their middle finger to work the clutch and that would appear to give you a better "Hang on" for yer life grip on the bars.
Unfortunately it doesn't feel right to me. I have started my daughter riding with "The Bad Finger" on her 50, and mountain bike  brake so she doesn't know any different. 
  Tuck\o/

That was the Gizmo in question. If I remember right it was hard to get a good compromise between easy and not disengaging. If you look at the Moose web site regarding it, one of the last things that they mention is to check disengagement.  :?

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 10:17:37 AM »
I found that extending the actuator arm 8mm made a big difference.  You can also reroute the clutch cable.  I did that but was doubtful that it helped enough to justifiy the bother.  Adding a nice terrycable or similar quality teflon lined cable can also help a bit.

You can't take the clutch lever leverage for granted, it can make quite a difference.  For ex. On my sons XR100 (first bike with clutch for him) the clutch perch was broken when we got it so I put on cheapy aftermarket perch and lever.  The aftermaket one made the leverage too high, making the XR100 clutch pull far harder than a stock KX500. I ended up welding up the broken stocker.  CR perch/lever have a nice ratio.  Cam.

Offline k5for-life

• its not what you ride its that you ride thats all
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
i find that my 91 k5 has by far the lightest clutch pull i have ever had on any bike but as far as lever ratios untill like 4 days ago i thought all levers were the same
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:29:18 AM by k5for-life »
in thee begining man become of the dirt and in thee end he shall return to the dirt in the mean time we shall give him a kx500 and the dirt shall be his play ground

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 10:33:31 AM »
Something I forgot to mention. I was looking over the cable on my AF,  which is stock KX500, and comparing it to the one on my 07 450. The 450 cable does not have such a radical bend in it as it leaves the engine....the steel part. I am going to try putting a new KX450 cable on it to get rid of the bend. Less bend = less friction.

K5for-life....Go squeeze a new kx450f or a (hate to say it) CRF450 they are nice.

Offline k5for-life

• its not what you ride its that you ride thats all
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 10:41:06 AM »
Something I forgot to mention. I was looking over the cable on my AF,  which is stock KX500, and comparing it to the one on my 07 450. The 450 cable does not have such a radical bend in it as it leaves the engine....the steel part. I am going to try putting a new KX450 cable on it to get rid of the bend. Less bend = less friction.

K5for-life....Go squeeze a new kx450f or a (hate to say it) CRF450 they are nice.
well i guess i have not had the chance to ride a 450 yet only CRF250R and a KTM250sxf i dint like any on then but back on topic my k5 still has the lightest pull on them
in thee begining man become of the dirt and in thee end he shall return to the dirt in the mean time we shall give him a kx500 and the dirt shall be his play ground

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 11:29:29 AM »
My opinion is to stay away from the easy pull, I used one many years ago and had a Very inconsistent feel of clutch engagement, even though it did make it easier to pull. The best value is to buy a CR perch and lever (Use on all my bikes) they have a much better leverage ratio. Lightly grease the pivot bolt, perch, lever and cable barrel ends. Clean and Lube the cable with a Cable Luber with your choice of lube that will clean and lubricate. This little amount of maint will make an amazing difference on an Old stead, and keep a new one feeling new. But of course the Easiest mod (and expensive) is to go Hydraulic as pictured above.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 11:47:31 AM »
My local shop has one of them there gizmos but the guy says they arent that great. Anybody?
I have a teflon lined cable, kept surgically clean and lubed better than a house of ill repute, which I've re routed for least resistance, amd I'm gonna buy a CR perch and lever tomorrow. When I've got the motor apart I'm gonna polish the arm face and the pushrod face it contacts, and if that aint enough, I lok like gettin a gizmo too....
On the bright side tho, I can open food tins with my left hand like Popeye does spinach..... :-D

Offline kawsf

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 12:30:18 PM »
Hello John,

Yes this is a magura,from a 300 ktm.The case has been machined to accept the magura slave cylinder.DoldGuy is right about the easypull,it just makes for alot different feel.When you lenthing the arm it will make it easer to pull,but then you have to pull the lever further to disingage the clutch.This will make the clutch heat up a lot faster.This is why i had to do something different.It cost to have this set up,but nothing you do to to the cable setup will ever work the way this will.I ride a lot of tight woods,so this was a must have for me.I can abuse the clutch all i want it it always feels the same,plus the pull is very light.I have this on two of my bikes,never had to do anything to it but change the fluid for more than ten years.I could never go bake to the cable after using this.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 02:48:38 PM »
Kawsf,

Trail Ridden?? :roll: I think that K5 is a Garage Queen :-D You did a VERY clean setup on that. I have seen the others that are "bolt ons" and the looked very??? unfinished??? How big of a problem was it fitting the slave cylinder??? Again, love the setup :-D
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!