Author Topic: clutch lever ratio  (Read 16473 times)

Offline kawsf

Re: clutch lever ratio
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 03:32:03 PM »
Thank's DoldGuy,the bike in the picture is a 96 540 that i restored,i dont even ride it.I have another one that has a unreal amount of miles on it.I have a friend thats a welder and a machinist,told him what i wanted and it did it with no problem.The case was cut down almost all the way to the mainshaft bearing,then he welded a peace of billet aluminum to the case and then bored it for the slave cylinder.With this you have to run a 13th sprocket so the chain will clear.I run a 13/43 gearing.Here is a picture of the old bike,it also has a 95 honda complete front end.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 04:16:41 PM »
If you search old posts by Paul or Rick (the original KX500 masters) you will find the clutch cable reroute mod.  Essentially you reroute the cable so it stays on the clutch side of the front downtube.  You have to put the stock metal bend in a vise and carefully "unbend" it a bit - which makes the pull easier.  If the 450 cable fits, and has less bend it might make that mod even easier.  Who want to test that and report back?  Could be a nice enhancement.  My KX500 clutch pull with the 8mm extended lever, the cable mod, stock lever, and DP clutch springs (a tad springier than stock but about the same pull) is about the same as my 450, so it can be done.  The overall action is better than my 450.  I never felt a need for the magura setup on the K5 since I have never used a KTM one that I completely liked. But then I was bummed when my CBR900 didn't have one. Cam.

PS for someone with poor clutch action the fingers of the clutch basket could be grooved, which prevent the plates from sliding smoothly.  Bikes with lots of miles can get that.

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 05:31:46 AM »
Your right CAM.
The K5 has a nice clutch and feels not heavy if you ask me.
When the clutch hub and basket are worn, al bikes get heavy lever pull.
Keep the cable clutch perch and lever clean. I use a billet adjusteble clutch perch with CR lever.
It looks like the cr lever combo is in the first few mm heavy and than it loosens. A bit like
a compound bow, as in bow and arrow.

dutch
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 06:51:12 PM »
kawsf

That a great mod for the guys that run big clutch springs. It sucks that you have to run 13T sprocket.

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 04:49:08 AM »
It has been a while sence I ordered my custom Motion Pro cable for my AF. I did a test to compare the clutch pull and here is what I found.

KX450f: ASV levers, New Motion Pro cable: 6.2 LBS
 KX500AF: ASV levers, New Motion Pro Cable ( Stock KX500 cable): 12.4 LBS
 KX500AF : ASV levers, New Motion Pro Cable (Custom Motion Pro Cable): 12.5 BS

I had consulted with Motion Pro and ask them to build me a cable without the 90 deg. steel section. I was hoping that the lack of the bend would make it a little easyer to pull. It did not work out as I thought it would.
    The test was done with a digital scale and the pull was measured in dynamicly mid way through the travel.
  All that came of the test was a new part number for a Motion Pro cable and a few less bucks in my packet. 
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 05:52:42 AM »
Those are good solid pull numbers to know.  My KX500 with the cable reroute mod (I took away much of the 90 by careful bending) and 10mm extended arm, original 92 cable, stock lever felt about the same pull as my red 450.  The overall "feel" of my K5 clutch is better than the 450, more progressive.  What kind of digital scale did you use?  Cam.

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 08:11:56 AM »
I have been using a PEP Lever on all of my bikes for the last 10 or so years with good results. I havent tried it on the 500 yet but I will when its completed. Its basically a CR lever with another hole drilled in it to change the leverage ratio. Also, I found that the clutch cable from an 03/04 KX250 2s will fit and doesnt have the metal tube. The only negative that I have found with the lever is that it has a tendency to fray the cable because there is a somewhat sharp edge where the cable makes the bend to the new hole. I take a dremel and round out the edge, this helps but I still keep an eye on the cable. In about 15 enduros, I usually replace the cable once.

That Steahly fww is nasty and coming off for a good cleaning! But here is the 04 250 cable mounted on the 500.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 08:54:37 AM »
MSR sells the raptor lever and perch combo it gives you up to a 325% easier pull. They are a little pricey , around $50, We've been using them for years.
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 10:43:55 AM »
Cam, The scale I used for this was a fish scale 0-30 lbs. I also use it to refill my paintball cylinders. :-D

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 12:14:06 PM »
Jerry,
 I never thought of filling them at home. How do you fill paintball cyl at home, what is your setup?  I have nitrogen or did you get a co2 cylinder. Cam.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 12:34:51 PM »
I like the Honda Levers and ratios on a cable bike. This is the set-up you get from a Magura that just mounts and no mods needed. works awesome with the steel braided line (comes with meltable plastic so protect from exhaust). Love it on my 500, it was a tough pull before, now is super smooth, didn't work for some reason on my 250. Never figured out why exactly. You'd be happy with the Magura on the 500.

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 03:15:55 PM »
Cam,
I have a C02 cylinder that I used to use for welding. I would hang it upside down so that I could get liquid out. I bought a filling gizmo off Ebay. I have since traded my welding cylinder in for one that has a siphon tube in it so that I do not have to turn it upside down. I do still fill NOS cylinders with non-siphon bottles because I'm cheep and you can get the last drop out with them upside down. C02 is cheep. You do need liquid C02. If you use nitrogen it will not last long at all. When 20oz of C02 boils it creates many cubic feet of gas.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-CMI-2-VALVE-FILL-STATION_W0QQitemZ120404079991QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120404079991&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 03:22:12 PM by jfabmotorsports.com »

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2009, 12:41:47 PM »
Flyin Hawaiian, that is basically the same set-up I use with the CR lever and another hole drilled for easier clutch pull.  I also like the way the MSR Raptor clutches that CBX uses have the optional holes, but the leverfeels too fat for my smaller hands.  Thats why I prefer the CR set-up.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2009, 01:15:26 PM »
Jerry - Cam , just go all out and get the 100lb fill tank , yea its huge but when you're filling little tanks it just seems like its never gonna go empty - the full tank weighs about 400lbs
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline azracer19

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 09:37:36 AM »
Ok guys, this is a great point although I have owned a kx 500 from 85 to my 2001 thats 16 five hundreds I have owned, I dont consider myself a no it at all infact I know nothing but how to turn the throttle. Anyway after reading some of these posts and trust me I am not trying to sound negaitve but the 500 has a monster clutch and takes a monster grip to race a bike 100 plus miles using a " two. finger " pull. im sorry but nowway. after sitting down the last 20 miles and not being able to stand over the woops let alone even use the clutch it would be awesome to give something a shot...jfab ( sorry I dont know your name ) did the tests and proved somethings mentioned DO NOT work I trust his judgement. While racing at a adelonto grand prixs one year I sturck up a convo with Mr larry Rossler. he informed me the only things he does to his 500 was two install 2 head gaskets some porting and polishing. and extensive teem green suspension. He also lenghten the clutch actuatator arm on the motor itself. Although this was some time ago is it still the only sure way to go?