Author Topic: QUESTION ABOUT IDLING ON A 89  (Read 2020 times)

Offline SLAGMULDER

QUESTION ABOUT IDLING ON A 89
« on: January 04, 2009, 07:26:14 AM »
My bike idling just two or four second before  stalling is it normal?
my reeds are new and my motors is in very good conditions and the screw is max clockwise THIS IS THE SCREW FOR THE IDLE SPEED ADJUSTMENT
For 500 meter level
main jet:170
low jet :60
THANKS FOR HELP
(excuse for my english and hello from FRANCE)
MIKE
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 07:04:40 AM by SLAGMULDER »

Offline KXcam22

Re: QUESTION ABOUT IDLING ON A 89
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:22:59 AM »
Slag,
  Your english is better than my french. They should idle nearly forever if the low end jetting is correct.  500 meters is about 1650 ft.  I run at about that elevations and use 55/165.  Your sounds like the stock jetting which is typically rich. Mine is the 92 Canadian model. Check the site for the jetting chart.  It is very accurate. Cam.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 04:41:04 AM »
Slag,
 When jetting your carb if you find that you need to turn the pilot jet all the way in to improve response then you likely need to switch to a smaller number of pilot.
If on the other hand you need to turn it more than 2.5 turns out you likely need a larger number pilot.
 Pilot Jet & Air Screw Controls the fuel/air mixture between Idle and 1/4 throttle. (keeping in mind all the circuits do overlap)
       Turning the air screw clockwise reduces the air flow and richens the circuit.
       Turning it counter clockwise increases the airflow and leans the circuit.
  Increasing the size of the pilot jet ( size of the hole ) richens the circuit by supplying more gasoline; i.e. removing a 40 pilot jet and installing a 42 richens the circuit.
Every jet is identified by a number and that number relates directly to the size of the opening inside the jet. (pilot that is)   Again smaller is leaner,  larger is richer.

One or two size's wrong won't destroy the engine, if you can try a #55 and then a #52.  You should have to back out your airscrew some with each lower pilot jet.
 I relize not all engines are exactly the same so your mileage may vary!

Some thing else to consider is quality of the manufacturer.   No-name brand seem to be alot less consistant, look for the "DrunkenStar" stamped on Keihin jets.
  Tuck\o/

(edited  :-o I had it wrong...Again  Thanks Don for Keeping an eye out!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 07:54:40 PM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline don46

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 06:03:41 AM »

Turning the screw IN makes the fuel/air mixture leaner.

Turning the screw OUT makes the fuel/air mixture richer.   (Lean means less gas, rich means more gas.)

Hold the farm, you've got that backwards. This is an airscrew, as opposed to a fuel screw on a 4t.

Turning the screw IN will richen the mixture by allowing less air past the screw

Turning it OUT will lean the mixture

I use a #8 slide and a 50-52 pilot idles like a champ.

Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 08:07:33 PM »
Mike,
  If your bike is in good shape-- Reeds,Air Filter ,Plug etc.
 I think your Idle Adjustment is all the way in account the bike needs more air.   
    (I fixed my previous post, I apologise :-P)
  http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/printcarbtuning.html
  Tuck\o/

"The Truth Has No Agenda"