Author Topic: what is kips?  (Read 3272 times)

Offline turtle22

• '89 & '01 kx500 '87 fxr HD '80 xr500
what is kips?
« on: March 04, 2009, 01:32:57 PM »
laught if u may, but i have to ask. what is kips? and how come it makes my bike so bad a$$?
lets ride

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
Re: what is kips?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 01:59:38 PM »
Excuse me, but I want to blurt out my understanding of it,so that I can be corrected and then learn.
 I think it is a system that alters the exhaust resonance chamber volume by using a centrifugal control. It is common knowledge that the volume and shape of the exhaust pipe controls the reversion pulses that are critical to two stroke power. In short the device provides greater power over a greater RPM range by increasing and decreasing exhaust chamber volume.
  Please feel free to correct me, so that I can learn more.
   I love the big hit, long live the KX500.
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 07:13:19 PM »
actually ..we can learn from you johnniespeed  :-D
very good description ,couldn,t have said it more clear.

KIPS stands for     Kawasaki-Integrated-Power-System

thats all i can submit after john,s words  8-)

Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline turtle22

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 03:43:06 AM »
thank u. such a smart forum  8-) i almost understode kind of everything u said in around about halfway concept  :? . so what ur saying is its the way kawi designed the  head and combustane chamber to give a proper amount of back pressure dearing its strokes? maybe sort of in a laymans way of saying it?
lets ride

Offline Johnniespeed

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »
turtle22, doordie used to have a gif showing how the exhaust pipe creates the reversion pulses, I tried to find it, but I could not.  doordie may be able to repost it, as I really loved to see it.
 The concept is not about back pressure, as much as it is about exhaust volume or internal size of the exhaust, starting at the piston and ending at the exhaust pipe rear cone. The KPIS varies that size ( volume).
  It is like having an exhaust pipe for low RPM power, then switching to an exhaust pipe for high RPM power, only it is done automatically by using centrifugal weights that expand with RPM and move a lever that enlarge the exhasut port volume (size/shape).
  I really hope doordie can repost that gif of the reversion pulses.
  The shape of the pipe cones dictate the reversion pulses and that creates the scavenging effect to draw in the next charge.
I will try to PM doordie to repost that gif.
John
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 04:15:24 PM »
That GIF would be cool to see. Exhaust volume.. Hmm.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline turtle22

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 04:29:58 PM »
i think that i get it a little more. i have worked on 4 stroke motors my whole life,but never been into the inside of a 2 stroke. ive had it explained to me about the reed andhow the strokes work. i did not understand that the exhaust had that much to do with it. i always kind of wondered why the pipes on 2 strokes had that blader like area in all of them
lets ride

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 12:16:09 AM »
Sorry lost it to,I will try to find it later...here?s a good article about kips-function anyway. :wink:
http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-32/great-kips-article-i-found-kips-explained-1581/
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline Johnniespeed

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 07:38:14 AM »
 Great article, I stand corrected that the chamber volume is not changing, but rather the exhaust ports close and slow the resonance waves.
  I was right about the resonance waves being altered, but I thought it was due to a volume change.
  I didnt know the CDI igntion also changed the timing to coincide with the slowing of the resonance waves.
  This theory of scavenge and charge pressure alteration is way too cool. I think one could make a lifetime study of these theorys.
   THE MORE I LEARN, I REALIZE, HOW LITTLE I KNOW !
 John
PS thanks Doordie
 2004 KX500 E16