Author Topic: Maxima Formula K2?  (Read 9293 times)

Offline iambigd

Maxima Formula K2?
« on: December 26, 2008, 04:29:48 AM »
I was told by a local mechanic that the Maxima Formula K2 is the best stuff around, any input on this?

Also can anyone recommend a good gear box oil for the K5 and is there a way to flush the gear box before changing the oil?

Peace

Offline BDI

Re: Maxima Formula K2?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 08:01:37 AM »
I realy like the K2 it is an ester based oil and as far as I can tell it is the same thing as the Bel-Ray H1R just in a different bottle. as for the trans oil you should do a search on that I would recommend you use the recomended weight oil and go with a full synthetic.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 08:37:36 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline BDI

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 04:46:02 PM »
I run it in a big bore k-5 that makes big ponies that only gets ridden in the sand under nonstop full throttle conditions. I haven't had any problems with it yet But I have only been running it for one season. I started running it because it's an ester oil like stewart runs. Not to mention most of the shifter cart guys run it and seem to love it. But like I said I have only been running for one season If my engine blows up this year I'll be sure to blame it on the oil because I would hate to blame it on the engine builder because then it would be my fault. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Albertan

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 10:41:38 AM »
I ride some moto and some mountain and offroad riding, and I'm a big fan of Yamalube 2R.  It keeps a motor really clean, and I've never had any engine problems with it.  That said, I doubt that subjects the bike to the kind of loads BDI is seeing on his bike, I don't know what his thoughts on Yamalube are.

Offline BDI

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 11:14:57 AM »
Ran yamalube for years and years with no problem loved the stuff. I only changed because I wanted to try some of the new technoligy every one was hooting about. I guess it's some kind of mid life oil crises thing I'm going through.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 05:44:15 PM by BDI »

Offline Speedway73

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 05:45:30 PM »
Klotz SuperTechniplate....and never look back.

Offline BDI

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 05:50:55 PM »
To be fair... It could have been unlucky that I lost 3 motors durring my K2 stint... But I choose to eliminate all (new) things that happend durring that time. that all bikes shared.. K2 was one of them.

I can't blame you there, that's why when ever I do expeience a failer more time goes into diagnosing it then anything else. That probably why my bike has proven to be so dependable, other then the fact it's a K-500.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 07:38:16 AM »
It's rare but a lost motor can also be due to fuel.  Travelling to a new MX track once me and my team mates all filled up at a strange gas station (due to being lost and late).  All our motors ran normally but seized that day - each with different oil. It was a poor decision on our part but also a lesson. Since then I have always brought my race gas with me. Cam.

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 10:59:06 AM »
this is a good read on 2t oil
http://www.sea-doo.net/techarticles/oil/oil.htm

i personally run bean oil. i like klotz BeNOL the best but its hard to find in my area so 927 gets used a lot. im really looking at going to Klotz SuperTechniplate. Speedway73 hows the smell with that stuff is it still sweet? i know I'm one of them tards that chooses a oil based on the smell out the pipe.

i think this is worrisome
There is no universally accepted definition for synthetic oil. Each manufacturer is free to label their product ?synthetic? by whatever rules the manufacturer chooses
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline jon snook

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 04:49:49 PM »
I use maxima super m .runs sweet, no problems . 40:1

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 10:08:03 AM »
I use 927 in the race bikes, and Silkolene Pro 2 in the bikes that are ridden alot in between topend jobs (Pro 2 Burns very clean unlike the bean oil). Have read different articles on the "New" oils and they sound good, but I am an Old Timer that finds it hard to change on a known product that works.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline pmskreta

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 06:15:59 AM »
I've only run Redline two-stroke racing oil and just switched from 32:1 to 40:1. I'm very happy with it. It does well in Vegas. It's expensive though. I wait for a Cycle Gear coupon for 25% off and buy it by the gallon.

Offline augerman

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 07:04:01 AM »
I've been using Bluemarble @ 100:1 last couple of seasons. I was a little skepticle of running that lean of oil, but the cyl & piston are always very well lubed when I check through the exhaust port. I also never seem to have any carbon build-up anymore

Offline 3Razors

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 04:43:57 PM »
I would never run 100:1 no matter what the bottle says.  I sure the piston might look ok, but if you mic'd the bottom end you will have more wear crank/bearings than say if you ran 32:1-40:1.

Offline GDubb

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 06:51:16 PM »
Others have stated running 100:1 with high quality lubricants with no problems. Not saying I would run that mixture but that is out of my own fears. However, I'm not about to judge a company or its product by my own fears or disbelief especially since I have heard/read about oils performing at these levels. In our lifetimes we have seen oils/lubricants change dramatically. How many semi synthetic or synthetic oils were around in the '80s? Bikes back then were still rated to run at 32:1. We cant stay in the past and let technology pass us by or we dont reap the benefits of said technology.

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -