Author Topic: Fork Break in (noise)  (Read 6102 times)

mxwink509

Fork Break in (noise)
« on: November 24, 2006, 06:28:37 PM »
Ok, I was told that the little "tiny tent zipper" sound coming from the fork was normal until it's broken in. Well how long does it take to break in?? I've been on a 5.5 hour trail ride (stop & go) and a 3 hour track day (mostly all go) and I can still hear that annoying noise. My forks felt stiff as hell so I softened up the compression a bit and that made it a little better (went softer 3 clicks). But I can still hear it. Does break in for the suspension take a while? The shock feels great! I guess time will tell. Anyone that's had this experience, sound off.....please?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Re: Fork Break in (noise)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 11:45:18 PM »
I have never heard this "tent zipper" noise coming from my forks :?

mxwink509

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 07:11:43 AM »
sounds like a bushing rubbing or something. This is my first Brand new bike so it might be normal. :-(

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 03:49:56 AM »
I can't recal ever hearing that noise on a new fork.  Might be the spring rubbing on an internal?  Possible try some WD40 on the legs to lube the seals and see if the noise changes.  If it doesn't go away soon I would suggest popping the forks appart to take a look. Might same some $$ later. Cam.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 05:26:00 AM »
New bike but are the forks stock? Have you chaged to aftermarket springs? The reason I ask about the springs is that my stock springs/forks on my 87 500 never made a noise until I changed to a Race Tech springs, Then I swapped out the 87 front end for an 89 front then replaced those springs with Race Techs and each time the Race Tech springs make the same sound you'll talking about. Stock forks was quite and then the Race Tech springs sound like they are rubbing the inner fork legs.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

mxwink509

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 07:27:27 AM »
Yep, the suspension is stock. I can put my ear to the top of the tube where the triple clamp is and hear it. Something is rubbing on both forks.

mxwink509

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 12:35:48 PM »
Got my bike back and the suspension people said it's normal for the 06 450s'. It's just the spring rubbing but woon't cause harm.

Offline kx666

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 02:05:56 PM »
i have heard this too, lots of newer bikes do this. its not good, but is is not bad eather. i have yet to hear of any fix for this. but then again i am not a suspention guy, i only have worked at a few shops. i hope you enjoy your new bike!!
~steve

mxwink509

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 07:09:00 AM »
Thanks everyone! I'm not going to worry about it. I'm getting it redone by Royce Devol.