Author Topic: help!  (Read 5282 times)

moburki

help!
« on: January 25, 2003, 12:28:38 PM »
i cant get my swingarm bearings out  :x . i think they're corroded in there.  anyone gone through this? any suggestions? i've got a hydraulic press, and plenty of persuasion bars! i need to get this done as i have ordered a bunch of parts to slap on the kx.
thanks in advance
mo

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
help!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2003, 12:31:40 PM »
Hmmm, on my 2001 all I had to do was remove the seals and they slid right out. You could try heating the bearing housings up to make them expand while trying to press them out, or you could just take the swingarm to a local machine shop. Couldn't cost that much to have them pressed out.

moburki

help!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2003, 12:45:32 PM »
i've got a press, and access to a machine shop. hopefully i won't have to go there, if i do, it'll be to machine the races out! i'll try heat, and update what happened tommorrow. btw, ordered a scotts, subframe, chain/ sprockets, and other various goodies, can't wait :lol:

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
help!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2003, 12:56:49 PM »
If I had all the mods to do over again, the Scotts and the suspension are a MUST. You can ride with out them, but you can ride much better with them. Congrats on the new goodies and keep us posted.

moburki

help!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2003, 03:17:43 PM »
well, heat on the aluminum swingarm, and a press, a bearing sized socket, and a hammer, and they finally came out. had to heat the aluminum back up to press the new ones in there. don't let your pivot and swingarm bearings  go for too long or you'll have to spend as much time as i did on the overhaul! shock pivot was frozen, took everything i had to loosen it up (wish i would have had all link and pivot bearings new). lots of cleaning and repacking. now everything is tight and smooth. probably have to turn the rebound and compression damping up now that there is no friction!! ahh, now for the steering damper, and the subframe  :) all this in the midst of a move.
later
mo