Author Topic: White plastic piece??  (Read 3637 times)

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
White plastic piece??
« on: December 17, 2008, 03:04:22 AM »
Stupid question but here goes :roll:..........My KX500 is missing that white plastic piece that sits under the tank/seat junction......what is its purpose and do I need it? :-D
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: White plastic piece??
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 03:22:57 AM »
 Mine is clear, if what you're talking about is what I am thinking of. I think its a flap to discourage water/mud from splashing up and into airbox. Mine is soft rubber also, so may help prevent tank wear against frame in that spot, since the little rubber band-deal holds it tight to the bottom. I just cleaned mine off, because it was covered. It must be workin'. I bet that little piece costs less than the alternatives. Plus i always remember famous quotes from many innovators on this site, those little guys in Japan were very close to being perfect. Anything being altered from their ingenuity, needs to be considered carefully.

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 03:23:30 AM »
I think what you are talking about is right at the top sub frame mount,... i believe its purpose is to keep the front part of the airbox clean, so that there is not a hole for gunk to sneak in under the seat while you are charging down the trail and get into your airbox,, it also sort of keep s your cable routing in order.... I'll bet a new one costs 4.00 from a dealer, you should probrbly get one.  or make something ount of some material scraps.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 03:30:25 AM »
Mine is clear, if what you're talking about is what I am thinking of. I think its a flap to discourage water/mud from splashing up and into airbox. Mine is soft rubber also, so may help prevent tank wear against frame in that spot, since the little rubber band-deal holds it tight to the bottom. I just cleaned mine off, because it was covered. It must be workin'. I bet that little piece costs less than the alternatives. Plus i always remember famous quotes from many innovators on this site, those little guys in Japan were very close to being perfect. Anything being altered from their ingenuity, needs to be considered carefully.

LOLLLL :lol:..........another one that I heard is " The manufacturer spent lots of time and money gettin it right, leave it be!! "   :-D
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline sintax

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 04:07:14 AM »
i have that stuff on my 99 i'm parting out.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 04:35:56 AM »
 Aw, ya that white piece. Maybe I was confusing bikes. Same thing plus has a cable hold on side. Keeps it from binding or rubbing tank. It is kinda funny, I guess. American ingenuity makes us think that evryone else did as good as they could with what they had, but we can easily improve on it. And i am a big fan of American -made products, especially performance products, but many seemingly unneeded parts do have a purpose. Even on older bikes, they had several good solid parts with a solid reason for having it.
  My own saying that I refer to often is, " Don't spend a bunch of dollars, trying to save a little bit of coins." I am tight with it, and have spent plenty of money trying to save it, but I'm learning.
  By the way, if the "USMC" stands for Marine, then thank you, SIR!!!! My hats off to your Bravery.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 05:01:10 AM »
Aw, ya that white piece. Maybe I was confusing bikes. Same thing plus has a cable hold on side. Keeps it from binding or rubbing tank. It is kinda funny, I guess. American ingenuity makes us think that evryone else did as good as they could with what they had, but we can easily improve on it. And i am a big fan of American -made products, especially performance products, but many seemingly unneeded parts do have a purpose. Even on older bikes, they had several good solid parts with a solid reason for having it.
  My own saying that I refer to often is, " Don't spend a bunch of dollars, trying to save a little bit of coins." I am tight with it, and have spent plenty of money trying to save it, but I'm learning.
  By the way, if the "USMC" stands for Marine, then thank you, SIR!!!! My hats off to your Bravery.

Many thanks Hillclimb........its good to hear nice things once in a while considering the things I've been called by those nice people on street corners with those signs. :-)

Offline mysnykkx500

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 09:54:42 AM »
anyone got a pic I have no idea what you are talking about. maybe mine was missing??
Tim

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 03:17:59 PM »
Yes!!,

I feel ALL of us here @ KXRiders owe you and others who have or are Serving a BIG THANK YOU! It is because of you, I can sit in my recliner at 11:15 PM on a Monday night, doing what I love (talk, or is that type, motorcycles). :-D
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 06:15:09 PM »
My kx500

#14024 Air Filter Cover  Part # 14024-1561  $7.82    ( Out of Stock  :oops:  )
             ( Kind of "floating" right above the frame )
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem.php?make=KAWASAKI&type=DIRT&model=KX500&year=2000&groupId=28844

Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline mysnykkx500

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 06:27:36 AM »
thanks Tuck.. Mine is missing I guess it is time to order something else :-D
Tim