Author Topic: New truing stand  (Read 11570 times)

Offline BDI

New truing stand
« on: December 15, 2008, 10:52:01 AM »
Well not exactly new :-) I found this stand in my buddies grandmothers yard yesterday. It has been there for untold years. I have never seen one like it before, I'm guessing it's very old. It says made in japan tanaka tool co. HTK. A full resto has already begun. If anyone knows anything about this stand I would love to know :?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 10:59:49 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
Re: New truing stand
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 12:33:47 AM »
Very cool find, hope to see the restored pics too. I was "always gonna build one" but like many of my little dreams, hasnt happened yet.  The tire changing stand isnt built yet either, my paint booth, not yet. Wow I need to get busy, must turn off computor.
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline don46

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 03:39:48 AM »
sweet stand, they don't make them like that anymore. granny got any other treasures lying around?

are there pieces that go into the cross shafts to hold the wheel, like something tapered? It looks like there is a hole in the end of the shaft that maybe something would go into it.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 11:40:30 AM »
I see a problem, it's not nearly beefy enough! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 03:01:49 PM »
My girlfriend just told me that her shop has the same stand. She works at a Kawi dealership.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 06:00:06 PM »
My girlfriend just told me that her shop has the same stand. She works at a Kawi dealership.
Does anyone at her shop know the age of it. I found some that look similar on-line but none have the exact same base. I think the base might be the key to dating it.

Offline barryadam

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 04:19:52 AM »
Nice lift there, too.
Once you have one, you wonder how you ever got along without it. :wink:
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 09:11:38 AM »
I was just at her shop and had a look at it. It is the exact one that you found. Same base and all. Ill ask the owner when and where he got it next time I stop in. I dont think its more than 30 or so years old, he opened his dealer in 83. He was a flat tracker when he was younger so maybe he had it then.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline rw4x4van

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 07:53:12 AM »
Flyin Hawaiian

IIRC There should be cone shaped pieces that go on the ends of the rods, that are used to center
the wheel. That truing stand is definitely from the '70's, I remember them well.......... :-D

I saw you have a KX500 that you use for woods riding in NJ, ..Do you have a taillight and headlight
installed, if so do you have any photos. I want to install a H & T on my '89 KX250.........

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v515/RW4x4van/

Offline BDI

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 04:42:50 PM »
I finally got some of the parts that were damaged machined up for it. now I need to get all the parts replated. Is there anyone on here that does plating that would be willing to throw BDI a bone. All the shops around here want a $130.00 minum.

Offline BDI

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 03:26:00 AM »
I'm thinking of doing gold zink plating on the plated parts and black wrinkle finish on the cast iron parts. What do you guys think?

Offline pabstmanjeff

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 03:33:51 AM »
I have this smae exact truing stand. It is in mint condition with the plating and everything still on it. Just curious how much one of these would be worth? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline BDI

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 03:38:34 AM »
would you please post some pictures of your stand. I would like to make some new spools for mine but have no idea what they look like. I have know idea what these stands are worth but you would be hard pressed to get mine away from me for any less then $300.00 like it sits.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 03:18:29 PM »
Well not exactly new :-) I found this stand in my buddies grandmothers yard yesterday. It has been there for untold years. I have never seen one like it before, I'm guessing it's very old. It says made in japan tanaka tool co. HTK. A full resto has already begun. If anyone knows anything about this stand I would love to know :?
is that a cat d11 or d10 bogie roller in the lower right corner of the picture? what the heck are you doing with that, making some retro roller skates?
oh yah, thats right, i remember the old steel wheeled roller skates. yes, i am THAT old!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 03:20:52 PM by maddoggy »

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 01:42:44 AM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:24:26 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider