Author Topic: Zerk Fittings  (Read 1740 times)

Motorrad

Zerk Fittings
« on: December 08, 2008, 04:19:54 PM »
Has anyone drilled their suspension linkage and put in Zerk fittings?  Think they are strong enough to? .... Obviously the swing arm shouldn't  be done... lots of strain, not much material...

I was servicing my KTM Suspension today.... and then went to do the same to the KX... and Hmmm life would be so much easier if it had Zerk fittings like my KTM does. (2002 640 Adventure)...

My 87 Kx500 had A Zerk fitting in the steering head... Previous owner said living in Illinois that it was the only way to keep steering head bearings in it was to pump it full of grease... and after any wet rides, "pump the wet out"......

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:25:36 PM by Motorrad »

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

Re: Zerk Fittings
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 04:44:52 PM »
You could plug one eng of the swingarm bolt and put the zerk in the other end. Cross drill small holes near the bearings. Do the rest as you said. Just don't pump the seals out. I'm sure that's why they don't come that way!
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline KXcam22

Re: Zerk Fittings
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 05:25:16 AM »
I didn't do my KX but I did the linkage and steering head in my sons XR100.  Older XR200's came that way from the factory.  One critical thing that makes it possible is that there must be a path for the grease to get to the bearing.  Otherwise there is no way to force the grease in.  For these types you would have to drill the bolt or buy a premade one.  I would not do another steering head.  It was easy but I find that the bottom seal is not meant to keep grease in so there is always a tiny bit of grease residue seeping onto the front fender.  Not a big deal but annoying.  I have 5 linkages to keep running (family) and the biggest longevity difference was when I stopped using a pressure washer.  Now I only prep them once a year.  Cam.