Author Topic: Missing Montana  (Read 6554 times)

Offline Bigtim

Missing Montana
« on: December 08, 2008, 07:42:05 AM »
Howdy everone, Just got signed up. Ive got a 98 kx500 that I bought in Montana when i was living there a little over a year ago.  I live in nw pennslyvania now, and it is just not the same.  I'm from Pa originally but Montana has access to recreation like none other.  Killer single track has been traded for rutted berms.  I've never had to drive so much to go ride.  I work at a bike shop, we sell green, yellow, and red bikes.  That really helps out with all the parts 500 goes through.  I recently won a contest at work which paid out a $700.00 parts budget, so its like i have contigency money to spend without ever winning a race. you should see my laundry list of stuff on order!lol  I stumbled upon this great site/ resource while searching for advise on how to remove seized exhaust valves on my 500.  A Quick and easy fresh top end has turned into a frustrating battle to remove a very gummed and carboned up KIPS system.  I look forward to posting the good news about the rebuild and some fresh pics (heck ya i'm gonna get fresh plastics and decals with that prize money)(( after the important stuff, like tires and sprocket sets... you know, the stuff 500's dissolve))thanks for the check out. :-P
Big Tim   

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
Re: Missing Montana
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 12:36:37 AM »
Welcome to the site, as you already know the people here know a lot about these bikes and the tips and tricks are priceless.
 I wish I had $700 worth of rear tires for my KX500 !
  I think PA has more hills than Michigan,but I can only guess it is a letdown after Montana.
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 09:32:36 AM »
Welcome! What part of PA?
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 02:31:02 AM »
I'm in erie, pa... right on the "great"lake.  I was in bozeman, mt, and the lakes out there don't really compare....side note; an only in Montana experiance happened when I was wakeboarding in 25 feet of water and could see the bottom(Flathead Lk)  you wade into 2 feet of lake Erie water and you caN't see your toes.  Big deal right?   I still don't own a boat.lol

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 02:38:09 AM »
Welcome to the site, as you already know the people here know a lot about these bikes and the tips and tricks are priceless.
 I wish I had $700 worth of rear tires for my KX500 !
  I think PA has more hills than Michigan,but I can only guess it is a letdown after Montana.
 John
I did something I never do and ordered multiple meats[tires] that i've never tried yet.  All the old heads I ride with swear by Dunlops 952s. All the younger kids seem to like Michilins starcross line.  I'll go with the experiance.  I usually switch the fr. every other new rear.  I ordered 3 rear and 1 front. hopefully that lasts me this summer, I don't race and I wait as long as possible b4 switching to new tires Even when they are "free".  Pennslyvania is a letdown in many more ways than one. Mostly, I have to pay to ride every were here. 

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 11:18:13 AM »
 "Pay to ride "  ?? whats that all about ?   Now I do pay for an ORV sticker in order to ride on state and federal lands, it is currently $16.50 for a year, but well worth the price considering the vast amount of groomed trails that Michigan has.
  Lake Superior is probably the cleanest of the Great Lakes, but it is very very cold even in July or August. Lake Erie is probably the worst for polution, about ninety years ago they used to dump cars into the lake. Ever see a 1910 chevrolet ? I am told they were all bought back and dumped into Lake Erie, ecologically correct recall, not.
  John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 11:43:29 AM »
How does the ORV sticker work for out of state riders? Im from Mo and we do not have a sticker.
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 01:03:22 AM »
In montana you paid like 30 bucks for a permenant ohv permit, the same for sleds too.  Mt. had a lot more National forest, State rec areas, BLM land and trails systems to utilize. so $30 for a vehicles lifetime is a steal.  Here in PA, there isn't 2% of public lands available for riding. so I paid 40.00 , i think, for an annual permit to a nice 30 mile woods loop, about an hour from home.  Rocky Gap, if you are in search engine mode.  Other than permit $, which I dont mind paying at all b/c it all goes back into trail maint., and staging area facilities etc.,, I pay like 20.00 everytime I go ride trails at a "private" riding area on privately owned land.  Another 20 bucks anytime we go to a track, there are a few of those around, even an indoor one about an hour from here.  I barely ever even put the bike in the back of the truck in MT., and could go on nice evening rides after work b4 the sun faded at 9:30 in the middle of summer, right out the driveway. ( rural driveway of course) 

Offline awak100

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »
If you think Montana has a lot of rideing area, you really should come to Wyoming, clue thats why all the Montana boys come to Wyoming.  I can take you places for Miles upon Miles and we wont even touch it.  I can assure you, you wont have arms left when were done.

Motorrad

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 04:02:42 PM »
If you think Montana has a lot of rideing area, you really should come to Wyoming, clue thats why all the Montana boys come to Wyoming.  I can take you places for Miles upon Miles and we wont even touch it.  I can assure you, you wont have arms left when were done.

Wow dude... Still responding to posts from 4 years ago??!!   Figured you would have grown out of that by now.... Can only keep your training wheels on for so long till the big kids make fun of ya...  

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 06:35:57 PM »
wow motorad, if i were danger4u2 i'd be real proud to have you belittle other members. this is the kind of B.S. that pushed me away from this site. i used to log on every day, now i log on once every couple of weeks. way to represent the site like a class act.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 01:32:36 AM »
wow motorad, if i were danger4u2 i'd be real proud to have you belittle other members. this is the kind of B.S. that pushed me away from this site. i used to log on every day, now i log on once every couple of weeks. way to represent the site like a class act.

the sad part of it is,Motorrad is at least the 6th person to say something to him about re-hatching extremely old threads. :?....I think there was one that was 9 years old!!
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 01:45:38 PM »
i don't see a problem with posting on an old thread occasionally. repeatedly might be a little bit of an issue, but i have a problem with belittling members on the site. if it's a problem, send him a pm. if it's that big of a deal to the admin. then ban him, but i seriously don't see it as an issue. maybe i see it different than everyone else :|

Motorrad

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 02:24:14 PM »
i don't see a problem with posting on an old thread occasionally. repeatedly might be a little bit of an issue, but i have a problem with belittling members on the site. if it's a problem, send him a pm. if it's that big of a deal to the admin. then ban him, but i seriously don't see it as an issue. maybe i see it different than everyone else :|

I just ment it as a not serious Poke of fun... sorry if it came off harsh..

Im all about people bringing up old threads to contribute somthing...

Offline awak100

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 01:25:04 AM »
Well 1st I didnt know that many people watch me.  2nd guess I didnt pay attentions to the dates.  3rd I'm 53 years young didnt get the opportunity to play with computers in school.  4th I'm really not a computer geek at all.  5th I thought this was the coolest site around, other people that love k5's as much as I do.  I've run them for years, 9 of them, 86 to 04.  6th I really have learned some stuff about k5's on this site.  Bolt thing sounds like it might work, I have one made just havent installed it.  and of course some bs as well, just got to have that as well in life.  Last but least I'll never, respond to any body on this site again.  Just read and see if I can learn.  Like I said I love k5's.  Thats why I have so many of them.  Well I take that back, I will respond to one person on this site, he wanted a 86, 87, 88 k5 to buy.  Figured I'd sell it to him for cheap.  Make him a good deal, he wanted a fixer upper.  Its runs and everything, top end needs gone through, like I said, the price was going to be right.  Nope no dealings at all C-Ya