Author Topic: help  (Read 2854 times)

Offline kiwimonster

help
« on: November 28, 2008, 11:27:39 AM »
hey guys whats the standard k5 carby.   i changed my throttle cable orderd  standard kawasaki 2000 model k5 one and its too short pissed about for 2 hrs thinking im having a blond moment. so i rang the kawa dealer .  he asuures its correct so then i managed to read the numbers of the old cable and low and behold its off a 1998 kx 250.   so order one of them today.   

now the numbers on the carby   . kehein pwk   g250 ange    40 mill small diam  59 mill  airboot side.   is this a standard carby  helllllllllllllllllllllllppppppppppppppppp. cheers. :mrgreen:
d c scrivens

Offline fluffy

Re: help
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 03:18:05 AM »
my book says 88 500 pwk39 89 pwk39. 1990-99 pwk39 2000 on pwk39.1983-87 used mikuni.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 08:46:57 AM »
G'Day Kiwi,
 I also have a 2000 kx5 I believe to be stock.  My Keihin has G260  ANF3 etched in the side of the carb body on the
clutch side just above the bowl.  Like fluffy said it should be a 39.5   The number/lettering  on the side of the carb looks to be etched in with a small die grinder.  I'll snoop around and see if I can find out what the #'s indicate.
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline kiwimonster

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 07:15:36 PM »
cheers mate i only measured the size with a crap tapemeasure so it may well be 39.5 mine also looks like etched numbers on the carb,   dont know why it has a 250 cable. does your cable go straight into the top of the carb , mine has a steel pipe with a bend in that the cable pushes into that and is held by a little clip.  cheers.
d c scrivens

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 06:08:45 AM »
 Kiwi,
 In regards to the "pipe" in the top of your carb, No my bike does not have it.
If you click on the Sudco link below and go to Carb Accsessories  pg. 90  on the bottom right of the page you can find the
item your speaking of.   
    I have worked on a few other bike that had them.   Pretty good idea I think to "get the cable around" the angle of the carb top and pointed toward the throttle with the least possibility of kinking, if you only have a few inches to make the transition.  ( just like some of the clutch cables at the case mount)
     There seems to be enough room between the carb top and the fuel tank on my bike that the angle isn't that bad,
and if you dont need to 90 right out the top of your carb you could probably "Lessen" the degree of angle to reduce the resistance of the cable in the pipe.   Small tubing bender or bench vice should work, just beware of the possibility of a kink  :| , and not a bend..

http://www.sudco.com/onlinecat33.html

I haven't had any luck decifering the #'s and letters on the carb body, nothing at Keihin.com or sudco.com.
  I did look up the 2000 kx250 and it does infact show the "pipe" on the top of the carb. Hmmm...
The 250 carb is a 38s (I'm thinking -short-). It should "sharpen up" the throttle reponse at the cost of some top end if you have the 38.   

Does the top of your carb screw on (round)  or does it bolt on (shaped like the throttle slide, and flat) ?

Only reason I ask is the 38s has a top that is not the more traditional round screw on type, it's flat with o-ring gasket.
Tuck\o/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 06:30:51 AM by Friar-Tuck »

stewart

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 06:24:34 AM »
i like sudco  great place to deal with...there  41   pwk with a 55 pilot and 182  mian is what i run on my own bike that i ride  ,,and im loving it ,,,,,,,,, rideable  and fast

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 07:49:10 AM »
Kiwi,
  My 92 had the pipe with the bend in it at the end of the throttle cable where it goes into the carb. Cam.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 09:47:54 AM »
Post some photo's of your carburator, side views, back and front views.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 10:10:32 AM »
My 97 could have used the bent one. It came with reed spacer and that pushed it back under the frame. The cable pointed right up to it and actually broke on me once, while fighting it back in to the bike. My 97 has a straight one, but the replacement, (I had to buy the whole top chamber), was a smaller brass fitting. I had to go through parts boxes to get the right one. Whats the deal with those? Doesn't it depend on the throttle cable you're using too?

Offline GDubb

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 11:28:55 AM »
Got me curious so I went to check my carb... my 96 K5 says PWK G250 AJF2 and the throttle cable does not have the metal elbow at the top of the carb.

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline kiwimonster

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 04:09:39 PM »
cheers everyone heres a pic of what it looks like a kx 250 cable should arrive today.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 05:35:00 PM by Danger4u2 »
d c scrivens

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 04:45:12 PM »
 That Appears to NOT be the 38s.  Judging from the top of the carb against the parts diagram .   
 Prev. Owner may have just swapped it out for any number of reasons.  Shouldn't be a big deal as long as you have full travel and no binding issues.   
    Angle looks good I think.  There are several parts that interchange on the Keihins I have/had 38PJ, pwk 38a.s. and
pwk 39.5 

There were several guys on a CR site that had a rash of throttle's sticking.
  One of the culprits was the cable sheath/end would pull out of the cap on the carb and hang the throttle open.
This design (with or without the pipe) seems to eliminate the cable sheath pulling out of the carb top and hanging up on the brass adjuster nut/insert.

Back to your original Question ( cable length)  if you have a set of risers or tall/wide bars, or maybe different routing then you would need a longer cable.
  Tuck\o/

Offline kiwimonster

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 02:13:49 PM »
hey guys the kx 250 cable turned up to day and fits perfect no binding , i think its a standard k5 carb  the prev owner may have changed the cable although it was supermotarded before i got it.   i am trying to get a powernow or similar type system for it bling bling,   cheers guys.
d c scrivens