Author Topic: High Desert in SoCal USA / new KX500 rider  (Read 5910 times)

hacker

High Desert in SoCal USA / new KX500 rider
« on: October 09, 2008, 12:53:44 PM »
I have been racing open class bikes since the early eighties, but mostly on offroad sidecars.  I currently race a KTM 500 MXC sidecar in the desert and an EML CR 500 sidecar in Grand Prixs and Motocross / BUT, just aquired a 1984 KX 500 B1 that I am going to keep as a two wheeler and race the Evolution claSS in District 37 GPs and AMA SoCal Motocross.

This bike has not been maintained very well but is original condition and after a freshin up on the piston rings, crank seals and suspension, along with new fenders and tires, it should be fairly ready (OH, and some gusset work on the link !).

I am really looking forward to throwing some roost since I am only 155 pounds, been an expert since 1984 but have not raced a solo bike in over ten years so, I will be dropping back to an intermediate for this next year until I get bACK TO SPEED.

I am the AMA Southern California Motocross Series Chairman and also involved with one of the Southern California desert clubs and Looking forwarfd in learning how to race a two wheeler again !! 

Any setup suggestions that I should take into consideration before I break my neck on my 1985 KX 500 B1??.

Chria Johnson / AMA California Desert Sidecar Champion and National Sidecar runner up
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 12:56:42 PM by hacker »

stewart

Re: High Desert in SoCal USA / new KX500 rider
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 12:55:50 PM »
glad your here ,,,great web site ,,,enjoy 

Offline KXsidecar

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 12:02:26 PM »
I know this guy.

:-D Don't hold it against me. :-D

He is a good guy. I have raced against him for years.

KXsidecar

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 12:37:40 PM »
 Welcome,
Hope you find this a great place to Hang Out.
  (Yes...Sidecar pun intended!)
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 12:38:54 PM »
Sorry Im of no help.

But hope to see you in district 38 some time...

Or perhaps Ill make the trek up to D37....

KTM500 side car... that is Serious stuff.... Have a picture of it?

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 02:23:09 AM »
Welcome to the site!! cam.

Thorina

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 10:43:54 AM »
OMG!
Is this where all the old bored sidecar racers come to die?  :-D :-D :-D

Mike the Tall....or ...Mike the Sasquach?
If so....what are ya doing on the internet asking such a lame-o question?
A 12 pack and a trip to the dez will fix your problem...you should know that.  :-D  A man of your stature....no pun intended....has connections.

...if not....um...nevermind.  :-P

Johnson....so yer gonna race a solo bike?
Remember to put yer feet down when ya stop.  :-D :-D :-D

Johnson took me on my first sidecar ride several years ago....my ex and I went on to be the national champions for 2 years.
Johnson hates me....but will pretend to like me in public.  :mrgreen:

Johnson....do you actually race the KTM?
This is a picture of it, if I am not mistaken:

....unless you just so happened to have bought a new one recently. Just an assumption considering you didn't add Wasp/EML/VMC to it's title.....ya know...to make it a respectable sidecar an' all. 

And here is a real sidecar...powered by a KX5:

Build specifically as a sidecar, to be raced as a sidecar. It was never a solobike with an added sidecar. The difference in performance is too much for words.

....while on the topic of sidecars....might as well add a picture of a REAL sidecar....when this thing fires up....it means business:

Ok, admin dude told me to introduce myself....no need to make my own thread.
My Name is Janette, I am a sidecar racer, too....but please don't automatically hold that against me. I race solobikes, as well.
I own 2 KX500 powered EML sidecars and 2 KX500 solobikes, as well as 3 KDX200s and so many more motorcycles it'd take half the day just to list.
I recently moved from Southern California to Northern California, the Bay Area, specifically.

I am currently working on 2 KX500 motors that are specifically for sidecars....one is a '90 replacement for a dead tired '86, the other is just freshening up an existing sidecar motor. Blew the crank seals...imagine that.
I have a freshly sleeved '86 over sized cylinder (LA Sleeve), if anyone is interested in buying it....and the motor can probably yeild some usable parts, as well. The '86 is a funny year...some '87 parts will fit...some won't.
Most of my important tools, all of my manuals, and notes are still in storage 400+ miles away.

I was taking a rainy day and trying to find some info I will need via the internet, rather then buy a new manual.

Johnson, my suggestion on the perfect set up so you don't break yer neck on that KX?

Sell it and buy yourself a 125.
Cuz that 500 is gonna kick yer rear all over the dez. 

Kisses.

peace,
janette

sidecargezzer

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 12:11:14 PM »
 :-D Well howdy dooooooo so this is where Hacker hangs,,hummm? Hi Mikey you too.
For those that are new to the sidecar thing I have been involved in the sport since 1965 and still race. Currently I spent most my time racing vintage in AHRMA on a 71 Maico, which I have owned since 1971. In the AMA National Sidecar series I think my best was a 3rd nationally racing with my son who is in his 30's. My sidecar is a REAL sidecar a VMC/Zabel 1998 model. I'm currently working on a vintage mx sidecar with a Kawi 750 Triple H2 in it.
Now Hacker might hate me more than Janette, and I'm thinking I'm not high on Mikeys list of people as well. So CJ,,,,,,where is that sidecar you were supposed to be buying from europe????? been hearing about it for what3 or 4 years now, sure takes a long time to ship.
Now that I'm done poking at Hacker, :evil: any questions about the sport past or present that I can answer please feel free to contact me. At this point I have parked the sidecars and only want to race vintage bikes and have no interest in racing sidecars again, except maybe a vintage one, such a cool sport,,,but!

hacker

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 02:12:57 AM »
Hey Richard and Janette,

Beyond your own imagination, I DONT HATE ANYONE, really, seems most of the hate came from another direction, NOW enough with dillusion.

About my KTM sidecar, I only race that rig in the desert over the last two years, twenty-five races without a single DNF.  I sat on the starting line over a hundred and thirty times of the last four years with only four DNFs, (but thats GPs, MX and desert all combined on both the honda and the KTM), but still thats a pretty d**n dependable record.

Hey Richard, bring out your Kawi this summer at the summer MX series, love to hear the roar of a Kawi triple again - NOTHING LIKE IT in the entire world.  I remember the 1974 Hopetown, Tom Ridyard on his Kawi triple thought he was running about third and he was actually leading the sidecar class and finished in the top 20 overall against all the pro bikes. How is Rick doing too, that was so cool you and him raced for a couple of years together as father and son.

And Janette, you could have an entire stable of sidecars and bikes but if you never even come out to the races, how do you expect to win ?? the desert has been so quiet without you around - WHATS UP and where the hell are you hiding ??  NICE AMA SIDECAR NATIONAL MX SERIES LAST YEAR TOO ??.

Besides Looking forward to racing my twenty silly desert races on a sidecar this year (more of a personal challenge that no one else really has to understand), I will also be racing GPs and the local summer MX series with both, Sidecar and on my KX500 this year in the EVO class (up to 1985), but at least I am still out there trying to race after all these years, year in and year out not just talking about it. 

Here is the local SUMMER MX series schedule for 2009 if your looking for some events to race this year !

AMA Southern California Championship Motocross Series

June 6   Round  1    Dirt Diggers MC  Night Race  @  Milestone, Riverside
June 27  AHRMA SOUTHWEST @ LACR Palmdale
June 28   Round  2    Desert Daisies  @  LACR Palmdale
July 11   Round  3   Taft MC  Night Race  @  Honolulu Hills, Taft
July 12   Round  4 Huntington Beach MC  @  Honolulu Hills, Taft
August 1 AHRMA SOUTHWEST @ Racetown 395, Adelanto
August 2   Round  5 District 37 RHR  @  Racetown 395, Adelanto 
August 8   Round  6  Racers MC  Night Race  @  Milestone, Riverside
August 9   Round  7 Racers MC  @  Milestone, Riverside
August 16 Round  8 Rovers MC  @  I-5 MX,  Gorman

(notice all of the double headers !)

Please note that not only at the two AHRMA events to allow vintage and post vintage racers but, there will be an REVO,EVO,CLASSIC and VINTAGE class and sidecar class at all eight AMA SoCal MX races. 

see amasocalmotocross.com for more information
NOW DAMMIT, LETS stop the BS & GO RACING

CJ

Offline JohnnyOfast

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 03:21:43 AM »
Hey Thor!!,

I really enjoyed your write up, lots of stuff I didn't know. Like your picture too, nice to put a face on the name, fear not I wuold not take it to the dark side. That Norton looks bad ass,,,, I'll bet it'll perk your ears.

OMG!
Is this where all the old bored sidecar racers come to die?  :-D :-D :-D

Mike the Tall....or ...Mike the Sasquach?
If so....what are ya doing on the internet asking such a lame-o question?
A 12 pack and a trip to the dez will fix your problem...you should know that.  :-D  A man of your stature....no pun intended....has connections.

...if not....um...nevermind.  :-P

Johnson....so yer gonna race a solo bike?
Remember to put yer feet down when ya stop.  :-D :-D :-D

Johnson took me on my first sidecar ride several years ago....my ex and I went on to be the national champions for 2 years.
Johnson hates me....but will pretend to like me in public.  :mrgreen:

Johnson....do you actually race the KTM?
This is a picture of it, if I am not mistaken:

....unless you just so happened to have bought a new one recently. Just an assumption considering you didn't add Wasp/EML/VMC to it's title.....ya know...to make it a respectable sidecar an' all. 

And here is a real sidecar...powered by a KX5:

Build specifically as a sidecar, to be raced as a sidecar. It was never a solobike with an added sidecar. The difference in performance is too much for words.

....while on the topic of sidecars....might as well add a picture of a REAL sidecar....when this thing fires up....it means business:

Ok, admin dude told me to introduce myself....no need to make my own thread.
My Name is Janette, I am a sidecar racer, too....but please don't automatically hold that against me. I race solobikes, as well.
I own 2 KX500 powered EML sidecars and 2 KX500 solobikes, as well as 3 KDX200s and so many more motorcycles it'd take half the day just to list.
I recently moved from Southern California to Northern California, the Bay Area, specifically.

I am currently working on 2 KX500 motors that are specifically for sidecars....one is a '90 replacement for a dead tired '86, the other is just freshening up an existing sidecar motor. Blew the crank seals...imagine that.
I have a freshly sleeved '86 over sized cylinder (LA Sleeve), if anyone is interested in buying it....and the motor can probably yeild some usable parts, as well. The '86 is a funny year...some '87 parts will fit...some won't.
Most of my important tools, all of my manuals, and notes are still in storage 400+ miles away.

I was taking a rainy day and trying to find some info I will need via the internet, rather then buy a new manual.

Johnson, my suggestion on the perfect set up so you don't break yer neck on that KX?

Sell it and buy yourself a 125.
Cuz that 500 is gonna kick yer rear all over the dez. 

Kisses.

peace,
janette

Offline JohnnyOfast

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 03:23:17 AM »
I keep thinking your name sounds failiar.  :evil:  :-D

:-D Well howdy dooooooo so this is where Hacker hangs,,hummm? Hi Mikey you too.
For those that are new to the sidecar thing I have been involved in the sport since 1965 and still race. Currently I spent most my time racing vintage in AHRMA on a 71 Maico, which I have owned since 1971. In the AMA National Sidecar series I think my best was a 3rd nationally racing with my son who is in his 30's. My sidecar is a REAL sidecar a VMC/Zabel 1998 model. I'm currently working on a vintage mx sidecar with a Kawi 750 Triple H2 in it.
Now Hacker might hate me more than Janette, and I'm thinking I'm not high on Mikeys list of people as well. So CJ,,,,,,where is that sidecar you were supposed to be buying from europe????? been hearing about it for what3 or 4 years now, sure takes a long time to ship.
Now that I'm done poking at Hacker, :evil: any questions about the sport past or present that I can answer please feel free to contact me. At this point I have parked the sidecars and only want to race vintage bikes and have no interest in racing sidecars again, except maybe a vintage one, such a cool sport,,,but!

Thorina

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 07:58:34 AM »
Of that nice long list of races you do every year....how many do you actually race against another team?
....Johnson....party of one.....

Nah, not racing, at the moment. I put in my time. Taking a well deserved break. No shame in that what so ever.
Most of the current teams either have life issues to deal with....or just flat out don't care. I, personally, have no desire to come out just to be the half time circus act at the races. Been there, done that....it's not productive. I don't need my ego stroked like that.
It's time to regroup, rebuild, and try something different.

By summer there will be enough collective rigs running well to start planning some "meet and greet" type get-to-gethers.
Sidecar clinics, if you will.
The KTM need not apply.
That thing is going to kill someone someday. No joke.
If you want to bring the CR in GOOD working order, then that'll be wonderful. You will be more then welcome.
But, bottom line, my energy needs to be focused in a direction that might actually get somewhere. Showing up as the odd man out....or on tracks that do not suit us does NOT bring people into the sport. It just makes us look like circus freaks.
Just because you *can*, doesn't mean you *should*.

But...more power to ya, Johnson. You keep pounding your chest....and I'll be busy building motors. Um, kay.

peace,
janette

Hey Richard and Janette,

Beyond your own imagination, I DONT HATE ANYONE, really, seems most of the hate came from another direction, NOW enough with dillusion.

About my KTM sidecar, I only race that rig in the desert over the last two years, twenty-five races without a single DNF.  I sat on the starting line over a hundred and thirty times of the last four years with only four DNFs, (but thats GPs, MX and desert all combined on both the honda and the KTM), but still thats a pretty d**n dependable record.

Hey Richard, bring out your Kawi this summer at the summer MX series, love to hear the roar of a Kawi triple again - NOTHING LIKE IT in the entire world.  I remember the 1974 Hopetown, Tom Ridyard on his Kawi triple thought he was running about third and he was actually leading the sidecar class and finished in the top 20 overall against all the pro bikes. How is Rick doing too, that was so cool you and him raced for a couple of years together as father and son.

And Janette, you could have an entire stable of sidecars and bikes but if you never even come out to the races, how do you expect to win ?? the desert has been so quiet without you around - WHATS UP and where the hell are you hiding ??  NICE AMA SIDECAR NATIONAL MX SERIES LAST YEAR TOO ??.

Besides Looking forward to racing my twenty silly desert races on a sidecar this year (more of a personal challenge that no one else really has to understand), I will also be racing GPs and the local summer MX series with both, Sidecar and on my KX500 this year in the EVO class (up to 1985), but at least I am still out there trying to race after all these years, year in and year out not just talking about it. 

Here is the local SUMMER MX series schedule for 2009 if your looking for some events to race this year !

AMA Southern California Championship Motocross Series

June 6   Round  1    Dirt Diggers MC  Night Race  @  Milestone, Riverside
June 27  AHRMA SOUTHWEST @ LACR Palmdale
June 28   Round  2    Desert Daisies  @  LACR Palmdale
July 11   Round  3   Taft MC  Night Race  @  Honolulu Hills, Taft
July 12   Round  4 Huntington Beach MC  @  Honolulu Hills, Taft
August 1 AHRMA SOUTHWEST @ Racetown 395, Adelanto
August 2   Round  5 District 37 RHR  @  Racetown 395, Adelanto 
August 8   Round  6  Racers MC  Night Race  @  Milestone, Riverside
August 9   Round  7 Racers MC  @  Milestone, Riverside
August 16 Round  8 Rovers MC  @  I-5 MX,  Gorman

(notice all of the double headers !)

Please note that not only at the two AHRMA events to allow vintage and post vintage racers but, there will be an REVO,EVO,CLASSIC and VINTAGE class and sidecar class at all eight AMA SoCal MX races. 

see amasocalmotocross.com for more information
NOW DAMMIT, LETS stop the BS & GO RACING

CJ

Thorina

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 08:20:51 AM »
Hey Thor!!,

I really enjoyed your write up, lots of stuff I didn't know. Like your picture too, nice to put a face on the name, fear not I wuold not take it to the dark side. That Norton looks bad ass,,,, I'll bet it'll perk your ears.

Mista O'Fast! YEEEE HAAAA!!!! How's it hangin', dude?!?!?!?!
Oh, I don't care whatcha pass on. Just been busy...too dang busy to mess around on message boards. Got no issue with any board....just too busy.
I came here the other day looking for the specs on the jig ya need when you press the crank shaft back into the cases.
All my cool tool shiznit is still in storage....and all my "notes fer a senile ol lady".

I call that rig the "Norton hears a What? Huh? WHAT? Speak up, wouldja?"

:-D :-o :-D :-o :-D :-o :-D

Love that thing!!!!!!! Can't wait to ride it for real....in full gear....and a helmet n' ever'thang. The day that pic was taken....we rode it all around my neighborhood.....I was in a cast. Ya can't see it in the pic. Rode it around up here a bunch, too....also in a cast.
That thing is just ti....er....marvelous!

Eh, I am almost done moving and settling in, etc....and my achilles has been behaving MUCH better living in a warmer place...soon, dude....soon.

BAAAWABBBBBB....BAAAAWABBBBB....bubbb....bubbbb......bubbb....bubbbb......

oooooooo....need to take a cold shower just thinkin' about it.

peace,
janette

sidecargezzer

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 12:23:05 PM »
CJ, hate might be a strong word, so I?ll say intense dislike and I?m thinking nothing along those lines has changed.
I?ll pass on sidecar racing in D-37 and here is why.
After 40+ years racing sidecars and solo?s the current tracks are designed for modern motocross (such as it is) and sidecars not only look really dumb and slow but any attempt to actually jump over some the moronic obstacles could result in a wheelchair for life.
I plan on racing well into my 70?s if not 80?s.
Sidecars belong on real tracks not jump-o-cross and the only place that that is available is in the vintage organizations.
Yes it was fun racing with my son and we will race together when the vintage sidecar is done. I have no interest in modern sidecars or tracks. I must point out that racing with one?s son is not a new thing. The Burns, Palfreyman and Whitney families all did this many years ago. In fact I think Mike Burns still holds the record for the youngest passenger.
Sidecar racing has a long history of up and downs. The AMA National series is just one of those cycles. You will continue on as a solo sidecar clown act and at some point (as you did before) you will burn out and park the rigs, nothing new SOS.

The kawi triple is a project that goes back to the 70?s and vintage sidecar racing; I was there at Hopetown, sitting on the line. Lance and I rode it a few times.
I was there when the European sidecar teams came over here.
I was there when D-37 had a motocross division.
I was there when it restarted, sitting in the first meetings. I also raced D-37 scrambles and Desert on sidecars when the desert was open and we rode Triumph?s with home built sidecars.
I was there and in the first meetings at the start the (new) BIG 6 gp series, spent a number of nights in Long Beach.
I was there when the first factory built sidecars appeared here.
I was there when we raced the Mickey Thomson off road series at the La Coliseum.
I was there for the Wide World of Sports coverage
I was there for the Sidecar Des Nations
I was there for the Monster Truck stadium events in LA and San Diego
I was there for the event in Canada at the Olympic stadium
I was there for the AMA National series and much more that I have forgotten.
The point is 40+ years and I know what works for sidecars and what won?t and I have seen it grow and die at least 4 times in that time frame.
I am so done with mixing sidecars into the modern motorcycle world; it is a waste of time for such a cool sport. But you keep on keeping on, me I have only a limited number of years to keep racing and I?m going to go have fun with it and return to an era when it was fun.