Author Topic: fly wheel weight? Help?  (Read 2073 times)

TX-KX 500

fly wheel weight? Help?
« on: October 28, 2008, 10:06:30 AM »
Hello.  I am riding off road with a 97 KX 500.  A friend of mine thought I might drop to a 13 tooth counter sprocket, and put a fly wheel weight on to make it easier to handle in the woods.  Anybody have a opinion on this?  How heavy a fly wheel weight should I put on?  What brand should I use.  I let my buddy ride the bike, and afterward he didn't really think I should change the front sprocket.  I am running a 14 front, and 48 rear.  I don't know if it's possilbe to tame the beast back to where you can trail ride with it, and not completely wear yourself out.  The fly wheel weight sounds like a good idea.  A few weeks ago I did a grand prix style race, and stalled it 2 in sharp corners on the first lap.  I would just appreciate any ideas to help make this thing a little more rider friendly.  Please don't say to put new reeds in it.  I have already done that, and lord.   It made a different bike out of it, and now it's hell to hang on when it starts pulling hard.  Thanks for any help..............

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: fly wheel weight? Help?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 11:26:08 AM »
To help tame mine I installed
Steahly flywheel weight
http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/weightsdet.php?s_partnum=615_

FMF Gnarly Pipe
http://www.fmfracing.com/products/DisplayCart.aspx

and a reed spacer I can't remember where I bought it.
When I'm in the woods it's rare going above 2 gear.  Lots of clutch work.
Do a search on flywheel weight.

KX 500 Rider

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 04:53:10 PM »
On the KX it is hard to get too large a weight.  I put a 16oz on mine and was suprised how little I noticed it, compared to other bikes I have put one on.  It does help. Also when it is time to change the clutch, get one with steel plates for some extra rotating mass.   What I do to avoid stalling is to get used to pulling in the clutch every time you touch the rear brake, so that it is an automatic reaction.  I would avoid lowering the gearing too much. The K5 is a torque monster and with too low gearing all you get is wheelspin and slow wheelies.  I single track mine with 14/49, in tight stuf hold the throttle at one low setting and modulate the clutch to control speed. Works. Cam.

Offline dans89kx500

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 01:23:46 AM »
Hello.  I am riding off road with a 97 KX 500.  A friend of mine thought I might drop to a 13 tooth counter sprocket, and put a fly wheel weight on to make it easier to handle in the woods.  Anybody have a opinion on this?  How heavy a fly wheel weight should I put on?  What brand should I use.  I let my buddy ride the bike, and afterward he didn't really think I should change the front sprocket.  I am running a 14 front, and 48 rear.  I don't know if it's possilbe to tame the beast back to where you can trail ride with it, and not completely wear yourself out.  The fly wheel weight sounds like a good idea.  A few weeks ago I did a grand prix style race, and stalled it 2 in sharp corners on the first lap.  I would just appreciate any ideas to help make this thing a little more rider friendly.  Please don't say to put new reeds in it.  I have already done that, and lord.   It made a different bike out of it, and now it's hell to hang on when it starts pulling hard.  Thanks for any help..............

I also put a 16 oz weight on mine. If it did anything, the bike is easier to kick over. Anyway, I dont think a fine tune and dialed in KX500 is ever rider friendly. It always going to pull like a high octain tractor. This is my experience and the reason why I own one. I could have bought a XR four stroke.

Just my two cents,

Daniel
Daniel in Vacaville
1989 KX500
2000 Husaberg FC501
2009 Husqvarna TC510